Thread: WiFi Range Extender

BMWHaus Guru

WiFi Range Extender

This is one for some of the technical follks on here.

A relation of mine is looking for a solution to extend the range of their WiFi.
    They currently have a standard Eircom router (about 9 months old) but want to add in a NEST camera. The location of the camera will be about 25m away from the router.
    I was thinking of recommending TP Link 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender but I think it may not be powerful enough. I am hesitant to recommend something that piggybacks on the internal electrical wiring as the house has a number of separate fuseboards and was built in stages so I doubt how effective that might be.

If anyone has any suggestions they'd be welcome.
    Last edited by JohnH; 03-04-17 at 11:23.

Administrator
    Was going to suggest the latter, internal wiring option, but since that is out, I'd be in the same position as you!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Had a TP link thingy before and it didn't work that being said have yet to find a reliable solution for extending range. Currently have extra routers dotted around the place but that means flicking between different wifi networks which is a pain.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    Had a TP link thingy before and it didn't work that being said have yet to find a reliable solution for extending range. Currently have extra routers dotted around the place but that means flicking between different wifi networks which is a pain.
    Same as myself but found if you name them all the same name with same password the phones and laptops switch in there own to the best signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Could you run a cable from an existing router ethernet connection to another router configured to act as an access point? I've seen this approach mentioned elsewhere.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74 View Post
    Could you run a cable from an existing router ethernet connection to another router configured to act as an access point? I've seen this approach mentioned elsewhere.

That was my recommended approach but they didn't want to have to run a cable as it's in a visible spot and really would need the wall chased

BMWHaus Guru
    If wifi is your only option, is the 25m open or how many walls etc does it have to pass through? The medium that the signal passes through has to be taken into account as well, if its stud partition or block wall and so on. 5ghz has less penetrating ability, but is less susceptible to interference, although 2.4ghz is fine for a camera. I'm a bit out of the loop with consumer wifi but I've had good success with Asus routers (can be configured as extenders). I'd start with one and take it from there.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    That was my recommended approach but they didn't want to have to run a cable as it's in a visible spot and really would need the wall chased
    They couldn't run outside and back in?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron View Post
    If wifi is your only option, is the 25m open or how many walls etc does it have to pass through? The medium that the signal passes through has to be taken into account as well, if its stud partition or block wall and so on. 5ghz has less penetrating ability, but is less susceptible to interference, although 2.4ghz is fine for a camera. I'm a bit out of the loop with consumer wifi but I've had good success with Asus routers (can be configured as extenders). I'd start with one and take it from there.
    It has pretty thick block walls which I think would work as a very effective barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74 View Post
    They couldn't run outside and back in?
    No, theres stone cladding on the outside.

Thanks for all the help lads.
    In the end I handed them a print out of a TP Link extender and a TP Link electricity wiring piggyback extender but said neither are likely to work as well as they'd like. I recommended getting a competent person to run a cable as that's the only thing that can be guaranteed to work, given the house.

Thanks
    John