Thread: Factory tint % ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Factory tint % ?

Slightly odd one - but my brother had his 123d in for its NCT a fortnight ago, and it was failed on having tinted windows. Specifically, the % light that they allow pass through. Its the third NCT the car has been through here, and first time its ever come up.

They're not particularly dark - and having just checked the spec sheet, it looks like they're actually factory fitted. Anyone (a) know what the standard tint % used by BMW is? and (b) anyone ever had this happen to them?

I'm guessing that BMW tint the glass, and don't use film - so its probably not the most straightforward thing to resolve if the stand firm on it.

BMWHaus Guru
    Unless there was film added to the factory tint, making it even darker?

Factory tint is 20% AFAIK

Is it possible that the previous owner put aftermarket tint on as BMW would not put tint on the windscreen or front side windows that would not meet legal requirements. Rear side and back windows can be as dark as you like. 35% tint is maximum legally allowed afaik on the front.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd be looking for the measurements taken by the nct tested.

BMWHaus Guru
    Cheers lads

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    I'd be looking for the measurements taken by the nct tested.
    They said it was 65% - which I'm highly dubious of. I don't have a decent side on photo of it - but you can see the Dell sign through the passenger side window here pretty clearly, which I can't imagine a 65% tint would allow

Presuming a factory BMW tint is actually tinted glass, rather than a film??

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    Cheers lads

They said it was 65% - which I'm highly dubious of. I don't have a decent side on photo of it - but you can see the Dell sign through the passenger side window here pretty clearly, which I can't imagine a 65% tint would allow

Presuming a factory BMW tint is actually tinted glass, rather than a film??
    Looks like there's some interesting stuff in the car park! Is that a charger?

Did they use a piece of kit to measure them or did the tester lick his finger and hold it up to the wind? Was it an Irish car? Once you can prove that it's factory fitted and it passed a test before then you kinda have the nct in a pickle as they have passed a dangerous car. That will give them time to change their stance on it. That's only going to be any good if you write them a letter though.

BMWHaus Guru
    Photo is from an old Cherrywood Cars & Coffee meet!

He didn't see them testing it, the guy just told him why it'd failed. Its a UK car - but can't imagine it would be a different spec for Irish cars. Could be wrong though.

He's putting the car up for sale, so this is holding things up on him. Getting a letter from BMW to show its factory fitted is painful too - took 3 months to get the letter for my E36 to state that it didn't leave the factory with an airbag, which means you end up having to pay for a full test again rather than a free visual test.

I think if it looks dark form the outside it's probably too tinted.
    This thread has some comparisons http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89567
    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...19a40e4840.jpg

The back 3 windows are probably factory tinted and the previous owner probably added the front tints. I don't think BMW ever did tinted front and windscreens in Europe.

BMWHaus Contributor
    factory tints or no its lovely looking car. colour combo it great