Thread: E36 318is Viscous Fan,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E36 318is Viscous Fan,

Hi,

Bought a '97 318is that was supposed to have slightly got hot and went over the 12 o' clock position.

Anyway thinking it's the Viscous Fan, When the car is cold I can spin the fan freely either direction. (Doesn't sound smooth) When the car is warm I can actually stop the fan quiet easily.

Is it as simple to just replace a viscous fan and or clutch to solve the problem or possible something to do with waterpump?
    Or replace with electric fan?

Cheers,
    Ross.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 318is Viscous Fan,

Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    Hi,

Bought a '97 318is that was supposed to have slightly got hot and went over the 12 o' clock position.

Anyway thinking it's the Viscous Fan, When the car is cold I can spin the fan freely either direction. (Doesn't sound smooth) When the car is warm I can actually stop the fan quiet easily.

Is it as simple to just replace a viscous fan and or clutch to solve the problem or possible something to do with waterpump?

Cheers,
    Ross.
    Replace with a electric one yours sounds fooked.. BMW did it then so should you! :P
    After a good drive are both pipes warm or is one cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Ross.
    Replace with a electric one yours sounds fooked.. BMW did it then so should you! :P

Yeah think it's fucked TBH, If you watch it spin it's like a buckled wheel and not spinning properly straight either.

Forgot to check pipes.

Is it easy to swap them over? Should have most of the bits from my Black Is.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Ross.

Yeah think it's fucked TBH, If you watch it spin it's like a buckled wheel and not spinning properly straight either.

Forgot to check pipes.

Is it easy to swap them over? Should have most of the bits from my Black Is.
    Few links for you

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=20393

Not an IS but to give you the idea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5I8vF324k

Are you sure the fan is the only issue? Water pump and thermostat would be worth while too.

Hi,

Cheers,
    Ross.
    when its cold it should spin along the engine, but not along the rpm. as it gets hotter, it locks up and spins along with engine rpm. when u will rev up u will see and hear it spining along the rpm.
    you should be able to stop it with ur fingers when car is cold and ticking over. u will be able to stop it even its locked but u will feel that.
    take of the radiator cap, how is the water flow? it should be sligtly flowing even when idleing. termostat- if it keeps steady above 90c when driving and in trafic, its defo not gonna be termostat. if termostat stck open, on higher speed u will have the temp down if stuck close in trafic it would overheat.
    i would take the radiator of and give it a good flush.
    ps remember, botom hose will always be colder than top hose, as the coolant from radiator is going in, to cool the engine, and the colant from top hose is coming out of engine.
    pps m44 engines has termostat with 95c opening temp

Good info.. Appreciate the help, Cheers!

It does spin with the engine. When it's properly warmed up the fan will go faster with RPM (But hesitates slightly before going quicker, Doesn't seem to spin that fast either?)
    If you keep the revs up for about 5 mins the gauge will get hot on tick-over, But if you drive it it'll stays at 12 O'Clock.
    Thinking the fan fooked and just not providing enough cooling or else thermostat?

Going to check thermostat tomorrow and if not anyone know where could I get my hands on a new Viscous fan?