Hi all,

I'm moving to the country come November and I'm in a bit of a pickle about a decision about the next car!

I'll be commuting from Kilkenny to Citywest everyday, which equals to roughly 38K miles a year door to door. Sounds like madness I know, all things considered its an hour each way, it used to take me and hour to go 7 miles to Clontarf

Now...onto the important stuff! What do I get!

Its has to be sub 20K miles --- and budget will be 30K +. I have to have it for five years, I'll be buying on credit, with deposit, but not HP or PCP, and I don't think residuals matter considering the end mileage. I'm viewing the five year ownership as a total cost if you follow me. It has to comfortable, fast and decent to drive. But I'm bored of having a daysul car!!! Here's where the dilemma comes in:

• Do I get a cheap cruiser and get a fun (petrol) weekend car? ie (120d and E46 m3) --bear in mind I'll be spending a lot of time in the former.
  • Go balls out and get a good cruiser, ie. F10 535d or 530d, or 430d/435d, be comfortable and wait for things to change? 640d fits the bill but are still strongly priced.
  • Or option 3, the man maths option! Get a M135i or M235i

Last option sounds nuts, but my calculations are as follows:

430d -- Expected MPG on Motorway 50MPG -- Over 38K = €4313, assuming diesel is @ €1.25/L
235M -- Expected MPG on Motorway 35MPG -- Over 38K = €6554 assuming petrol is @ €1.35/L

Difference is 2.3K per year, but I wouldnt have the additional cost of a second car, and I'd assume the 1/2 series is cheaper to service too. But I'd worry the petrol engine probably isn't up to that mileage, where as the diesel is designed for it.

Advice please?