Thread: S54 Rob Bearing Shells replacements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

S54 Rob Bearing Shells replacements

Hi,

I am planning on doing a couple trackdays again this year so I am thinking of replacing rod bearing shells on my 2001 m3 as a precaution. I read that it is recommended to replaced them on 100k+ cars. Has anyone on here done it? What does it involve?

as I understand I need the bolts , upper and lower shells. I know prefacellift models use different bolts that can be re used but I d rather use new ones.
    11247834310 - bolts
    11247835439 - upper
    11247835440 - lower

Is there anything else worth looking into while doing this job?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Sumpgasket, along with shells id recomend anyone with a 100k m3 to pull vanos and check wear on vanos oil pump disc, and possible breaks/cracks on exhaust hub tabs. Cam bolts are known to sheer also. Again at same time would check upper chain guide, always wear and can break, poor design! If you done all that, have good comp readings and do rod bearings, youd be all set !

also worth changing your engine mounts while its easy to do if dropping the sump

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    Sumpgasket, along with shells id recomend anyone with a 100k m3 to pull vanos and check wear on vanos oil pump disc, and possible breaks/cracks on exhaust hub tabs. Cam bolts are known to sheer also. Again at same time would check upper chain guide, always wear and can break, poor design! If you done all that, have good comp readings and do rod bearings, youd be all set !
    Valdas did a full rebuild of VANOS not so long ago. He said that they were in good condition to start with. Car definitely felt and sounded better after. However I need to check my compression. So I will add that to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher Boy View Post
    also worth changing your engine mounts while its easy to do if dropping the sump
    Yea thats a good shout. I am sure they are still original and havent been changed. I was thinking of doing a steering wheel coupler as well since its under the car.