Thread: Broken Wheeel nut key

Broken Wheeel nut key

Hi Lads, I got a puncture on sunday, took the wheel off , fixed the puncture and when tightening up the security bolt the key snapped, Broken bit still in the bolt, I tried various ways of removing it but no joy, I called the AA on monday and they came with a tool for removing these but need the broken but to be out for it to work, He managed to beat it in worse tha it was so now its a right mess, He then went to one of the other wheels and said we might as well take them out, When he was using the extraction tool IT broke in the bolt, So now I have two damaged wheel bolts. There is one device which locks around the back of the bolt and with the use of a sliding hammer it will pull the spinning coller of the bolt and expose the splines inside which can then be used to open the bolt, Anyone in here know of anybody with this device? If not my next step is to weld a nut onto the security bolt and try release it that way.
    Thanks
    Paul

This happened me in the past. Welding wasn't an option without ruining the wheels. I had the bolt drilled out from the hub in the end.

BMWHaus Contributor
    http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tool...el-nut-remover

Was it one of these the aa man was using?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Any photos of the wheel and lock nut in question. I deal with this problem atleast once a week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi, No that one wont work on the spinning coller type as theres not enough metal to bite onto, The AA use this http://www.dynomec.co.uk/locking-wheelnut-remover.html

I will post some photos tomorrow

HI Roberto, My cousin is a top class welder, He is going to look at it for me, I know its tight but if anyone can do it , He's the man.

Got one of them out today by using a chisle to remove the spinning collar then beating an undersize socket onto the remaining bolt. Im half way into the other on but ran out of time today.

Update, Got the second damaged one off today, Getting the hang of it now!!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Late to this thread, to tell you the truth, I've stopped using locking nuts (I don't have anything more than factory M series alloys including M5's)

If thieves want the wheels now, they'll take the car. Not worth the bother.