So about two years ago, myself and a friend were up (hooning) around the Wicklow mountains when we got curious and drove down the road by that leads to Turlough Hill power station. My friend in his old Merc W124 E Class Estate and me in my BMW 318Ci.
Never knowing what was beyond that hill, seeing the power station was a bit of a shock but we continued on down the road to the fenced area.
It was quiet eerie as we approached a big open gate with absolutely no one around.
My mate pulled up alongside me and says he's going in. The tunnel was in view and still no one around.
So my friend drives through the gate followed gingerly by me.
Just as we enter, a soldier steps across the entrance of the tunnel with a machine gun strapped across his chest and his hand upraised in a stop gesture.
I slammed on the brakes, lobbed the car into reverse and sent stones flying. Needless to say he frightened the SHITE out of me.
I high-tailed it followed closely by my friend. We pulled alongside each other wondering what the feck had just happened.

To this day I'm still baffled that:
1. The gate to a power station would be just left open like that.
2. That the army would be stationed at the entrance to the plant.

Anyways, the reason I brought this up is because I passed it the other day and was thinking it would make an interesting place to shoot some photos when I go for a spin with a few guys on Wednesday night next.