Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 530d not starting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E39 530d not starting

Have 02 530d Touring, was in Dublin the other day and car failed to start after being stopped for about 15mins.
    Gave it an hour to cool and started, ran perfect and drove home fine. Got home and it started twice in a row straight away. Left it for 10mins and would not start. Gave it an hour and started again.

Next morning it wouldnt start and hasnt started for me since.

Can hear the fuelpumps priming, never ran bad in anyway up to this.
    Seen that camshaft sensor was common problem, changed it this evening and still no luck.

Any ideas where to go from here?

I'd try to hook her up to the computer, diagnostic might find something

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Have you checked the inline pump? Give the passenger floor a hard thump from inside the cabin just in front of the passenger seat, I used to have this issue!
    E60 LCI 530i | E92 335i - Sold | E39 530i Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold | E39 530d Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Have you checked the inline pump? Give the passenger floor a hard thump from inside the cabin just in front of the passenger seat, I used to have this issue!
    If you can get under it, tap this fuel pump while trying to start it. Once you have it running, if the car feels like its hitting a rev limiter at 2200rpm or so then it's definitely this pump
    E60 LCI 530i | E92 335i - Sold | E39 530i Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold | E39 530d Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold

Hopefully getting it plugged in today and see what comes up.

I'll check the pump after work, thanks

BMWHaus Contributor
    Sounds like an injector rail pressure drop (worse when hot) get a leak down test done on the injectors, or crank it with the leak pipes of the injectors, and see if one is pissing diesel, (short burst of starter)
    If they aren't all within 10% of each other it will give the symptoms you describe - ideally you'd have manometers (graduated tubes) to connect with bosch connections to the injector tops.
    Any half decent mechanic should be able to do this or if your handy yourself.....

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Have 02 530d Touring, was in Dublin the other day and car failed to start after being stopped for about 15mins.
    Gave it an hour to cool and started, ran perfect and drove home fine. Got home and it started twice in a row straight away. Left it for 10mins and would not start. Gave it an hour and started again.

Next morning it wouldnt start and hasnt started for me since.

Can hear the fuelpumps priming, never ran bad in anyway up to this.
    Seen that camshaft sensor was common problem, changed it this evening and still no luck.

Any ideas where to go from here?
    same problem a while back with me turned out to be the first injector,if it doesnt hit the right pressure or too much pressure the sensor on the fuel pump notices it and wont allow the car to start,do a leak back test just to check,kit are available quiet cheap nowadays and its a handy thing to do,it will also give you an idea of whats going on with the rest of the injectors.

inpa and the likes are no good to measure the injector flow rate because the car is not running at idle

Not getting right pressure to start.
    Injectors seem ok, will start with spray of easy start and run ok.
    Fuel pumps seem ok, mechanic is trying fuel pressure regulator switch on pump tomorrow, fingers crossed it does the trick

BMWHaus Guru
    Has anyone scanned the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeh, was showing camshaft sensor at first, changed that and still nothing.
    Live data showed the low fuel pressure and then it eventually threw up pressure fault after a while turning over