Thread: E90 ECU change-Coding?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E90 ECU change-Coding?

I have a bangernomics e90 that has given its ecu a bath.
    I have it drying out in the hot press but I think I will need to replace it.
    Can anyone inform me what exactly will I need from another car and what work will have to be done to make it communicate with the car?
    I take it I'll need the ecu, key(s), key reader, immobiliser box (Cas unit?)
    If I get all the above from the one car will I still need it coded to my car/other units?
    I have access to Inpa but I'm not competent with it.
    If anyone could help me I'd be greatful.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Only way is the get an ecu same part no and clone it. Swapping ecu an keys an shit is messy as the abs trc etc all need same part no coding. Trouble it alot of times when theyve got wet cloning ports are corroded

Ok, would I have to get a Blank ecu and get someone to clone it or would a second hand one from another car be able to be cloned?
    Do you know or can you recommend anyone to do this work in the Dublin or Kildare area?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by M7roadrunner View Post
    Ok, would I have to get a Blank ecu and get someone to clone it or would a second hand one from another car be able to be cloned?
    Do you know or can you recommend anyone to do this work in the Dublin or Kildare area?
    I'd say Valdas, Courtney Motors or maybe Germaniks

BMWHaus Contributor
    Ive got it done with second hand ones! Try motor confidence

I can do it if you need pm me or Google gpmotorworks.net contact me that way .thanks

Sent from my HTC One X9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GpMotorworks; 09-06-17 at 07:16.

Right, I've been told that I need the exact same no.s on the ecu to replace the ecu on the car in order to have it cloned, but I am not getting anywhere with that (can't find). The ecu has been replaced at some stage in the past and the part no is different to the one realoem says should be in it. It has been superseded six or seven times.
    I have an ecu lined up that's on the superseded list but I have been warned that depending on what options the car had it was removed from, it may not communicate with abs/ fog lights etc.
    Should I pick up the one from the list along with the keys and cas and see if I can get it cloned to my exsisting one, or just try and put the ecu and cas in and check see if everything works?
    Thanks.

BMWHaus Guru
    Real OEM won't have all the part numbers for the ECU. Each rev of software has its own part number and they are not listed. Best thing to do is find one from a similar car or type the part number in to http://bmwfans.info to ensure it matches your car model.

Just to update this thread,
    I picked up an Ecu for my car that was on the superseded list and Paul at GpMotorworks matched it to my Cas and key and the car hasn't missed a beat since.
    I had drained the container that holds the Ecu but the crevice that it sits into wasn't draining quickly enough, hence the water damage to my Ecu.
    Huge thanks to Paul at GpMotorworks for the extremely quick turnaround over the weekend and for the information he passed on to me. Gentleman to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by M7roadrunner View Post
    Just to update this thread,
    I picked up an Ecu for my car that was on the superseded list and Paul at GpMotorworks matched it to my Cas and key and the car hasn't missed a beat since.
    I had drained the container that holds the Ecu but the crevice that it sits into wasn't draining quickly enough, hence the water damage to my Ecu.
    Huge thanks to Paul at GpMotorworks for the extremely quick turnaround over the weekend and for the information he passed on to me. Gentleman to deal with.
    No problem Derek glad your back on the road .

Sent from my HTC One X9 using Tapatalk