Thread: Motor tax issue...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Motor tax issue...

Hi,

So, I got a letter in the post today from the Department of Transport about motor tax on a Renault 5 I owned 4 years ago. Apparently its still in my name.

Back story:
    Me, and a few friends owned a 1991 Renault 5 in 2008/9, we got it for free. When we bought it I volunteered to put it into my name. Anyway, we sold it on after a while, heard nothing of it after that.

Now, I got this letter in the door saying it hasn't been taxed since 2010, and it needs to be taxed or declared off the road before the 30th or I will be liable for arrears from 2010!

I don't have the owners details or anything.

Is there anything I can do here?

Re: Motor tax issue...

I foresee a serious headache for you over the next few days

Id be on that phone first thing in the morning and just explain whats happened im sure they will advise what to do next

RE: Motor tax issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    I foresee a serious headache for you over the next few days

Id be on that phone first thing in the morning and just explain whats happened im sure they will advise what to do next
    Ah, I guessed that.

I suppose thats the best thing to do; absolutely nothing on Motortax.ie.

BMWHaus Contributor

im a lazy fuck and havent taxed my car do i have top pay arears or can i get a letter from a garage saying its been off the road and in there garage till now

Re: RE: Motor tax issue...

Quote Originally Posted by cambo
    im a lazy F*** and havent taxed my car do i have top pay arears or can i get a letter from a garage saying its been off the road and in there garage till now
    You have until the 1st of sept to backdate it after that no letter will do afaik it has to be done with that new form out now

Edit: just realised its the 1st of sept today not sure what your going to do now ,you might have to transfer ownership to get round it

Re: Motor tax issue...

Theres bit of confusion online from different sources some are saying 1 sept others are saying 31st sept so might be alright eoghan

Edit: its the 30th sept it ends so get your rf100 done and clear all that back tax then put on the rf150 form if you intend to keep it off the road

BMWHaus Contributor

If you sold the car on that long ago and have never heard anything about it. Its probably scraped or sitting up somewhere.
    As you sold it, taxing it etc is not your problem. However when you sold it as the owner at the time you were obliged to fill in the tax book/ registration document and forward it to the dept of the transport at Shannon.

If in the future and problems arise with the car for motoring offences/ tolls you can go to a solicitor and swear an affidavit that you sold the car. ( Details You recall etc) Which they will forward to Shannon to update records.

It up to the power that be to follow up on it then.

This I know as a family friend had issues when he sold a car to a grand lad and gave him the log book.

BMWHaus Contributor

Anyone want to buy. A 525d I fucking hate paying tax

BMWHaus Contributor

What I said to Leins in a pm on Wednesday

"I'm sure there will be a thread soon where someone get hit for back tax."
    Attached Images Attached Images