Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E60 LCI Bluetooth retrofit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E60 LCI Bluetooth retrofit

Evening all, long time no post.

I have a 2007 E60 LCI and I want to do a genuine Bluetooth retrofit. (Small screen I-drive)
    The only problem I see is that I can't find any loom for the TCU/MULF phone box thingy in the boot.
    I have looked on the left side up as far as the back seat and no joy.
    Is it normal for some cars not to have the loom or am I looking in the wrong place?
    The only module in the foam block in spare wheel well is the PDC controller.

Cheers...
    John

BMWHaus Contributor
    I've read it may be behind the glovebox? Have you done a VIN check to see if it has bluetooth preparation?
    E60 LCI 530i | E92 335i - Sold | E39 530i Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold | E39 530d Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold

BMWHaus Guru
    The Bluetooth module is normally located behind the rear seat on the left hand side.

As mentioned, check for "Bluetooth Preparation" for your VIN on http://www.bmwvin.com

BMWHaus Guru

No Bluetooth prep on the vin check, I just assumed the loom would be fitted as standard.
    I see the retrofit loom(61 12 0 442 293) was discontinued by BMW a year or two ago.
    Not to worry, it looks like aftermarket is the way to go...
    cheers lads.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D View Post
    No Bluetooth prep on the vin check, I just assumed the loom would be fitted as standard.
    I see the retrofit loom(61 12 0 442 293) was discontinued by BMW a year or two ago.
    Not to worry, it looks like aftermarket is the way to go...
    cheers lads.
    Look at the Dension set up, it will work like OEM within iDrive.

BMWHaus Contributor
    An alternative, "cheap" option is a bluetooth auxiliary adapter with microphone. This comes highly recommended: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Sound...nker+soundsync - £12

Only irritation is that you have to be in AUX in mode but I have one of my steering wheel buttons set up for that anyway.
    E60 LCI 530i | E92 335i - Sold | E39 530i Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold | E39 530d Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold

BMWHaus Guru

Ok well in a turn of events I've just bought a ULF/TCU loom. I'm going the full factory route .. call me mad but it was an absolute steal on eBay. I have fitting instructions too.. it's actually not as bad looking as it sounds. Over the next few weeks I'll pick up a BT antenna, mic and a ULF/MULF should work out a lot cheaper than the dension option.

It'll be a good excuse to try out my new ISTA-P install..
    Last edited by John_D; 22-06-17 at 22:58.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D View Post
    Ok well in a turn of events I've just bought a ULF/TCU loom. I'm going the full factory route .. call me mad but it was an absolute steal on eBay. I have fitting instructions too.. it's actually not as bad looking as it sounds. Over the next few weeks I'll pick up a BT antenna, mic and a ULF/MULF should work out a lot cheaper than the dension option.

It'll be a good excuse to try out my new ISTA-P install..
    Fair play to you for spending the time to find the parts and good luck with fitting everything. It is not too bad but time consuming.
    Now keep in mind the last software update for this is from 2009. So you may do all the fitting, the coding etc, then end up with a system that is not compatible with your phone. Many people have troubles with their latest phones in BMW F10 even.
    Several MULF modules can only be flashed using the MOST interface so if that is the case of your module and don't have the ICOM that is going to be a very expensive and painful retrofit.

You may not any troubles if you are lucky

But personally I would not recommend this retrofit at all. System is over 8 years old and has not received an update since. You can grab dension 500S BT for 300 euros on ebay. Takes 1h to install and you do get regular bug fix etc.

ISTA/P is not required to install a MULF module. Time to load ISTA/P, job is already done with NCSExpert.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for your input. I'll do my research and have a good think about it before I commit. I intend to use only Bluetooth with iPhone. (6 currently) Not too pushed about what level of integration I get(phonebook etc..) once I get voice dialling from steering controls.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Dension gateway 500 best option