Thread: M50 from E34 into my E36?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

M50 from E34 into my E36?

My 525i has been for sale for a while with nobody biting, so I'm thinking of maybe swapping the engine into my E36 318.

The 525 is auto and the 318 is manual so would this cause any problems? As you can probably gather, this is way beyond my technical ability so I'd be getting somebody else to do the work:blush:

RE: M50 from E34 into my E36?

I'm a bit away from a sump swap yet indigais but I'll keep it in mind!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pauliE3X
    My 525i has been for sale for a while with nobody biting, so I'm thinking of maybe swapping the engine into my E36 318.

The 525 is auto and the 318 is manual so would this cause any problems? As you can probably gather, this is way beyond my technical ability so I'd be getting somebody else to do the work:blush:
    I started with automatic e36 and put 2.5 m50 manual in and had issues with reverse lights and at the beginning it wouldn't start because ecu was saying it was in gear.bit of fiddling with wires fixed the starting bit but I still have the reverse lights issue.reverse lights always on,i did sort it however a while back but have since undone the wiring to fit parts and cant remember how I done it..must have a look one of the days.good luck with your swap,

I believe the manual transmission for the 318i is different from the M50 transmission. You would be best swapping the engine in as an automatic if your going to do it. The engine will fit, but when you switch to a manual you need to reprogram the DME because it will keep thinking its an auto and display a warning light until you do.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vader
    I believe the manual transmission for the 318i is different from the M50 transmission. You would be best swapping the engine in as an automatic if your going to do it. The engine will fit, but when you switch to a manual you need to reprogram the DME because it will keep thinking its an auto and display a warning light until you do.
    don't need to re proggrame it,just bridge a few wires as I stated above.at least thatswhat I done and it works,my engine was from e36 though going in to e36.

BMWHaus Contributor

engine wiring loom will be different too as the ECU is mounted on different sides on the 5 series
    you would be a lot better getting an e36 doner

Quote Originally Posted by hamish262001
    engine wiring loom will be different too as the ECU is mounted on different sides on the 5 series
    That's good to know hamish. I already have the e34 donor though!

Quote Originally Posted by pauliE3X
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish262001
    That's good to know hamish. I already have the e34 donor though!
    I have couple spare e36 2.5 engines also boxes-less hassle for you (as hamish).