Thread: Vanos rebuild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vanos rebuild

Has any of you stripped and rebuilt your vanos units, personally? The diesel rattle is really starting to annoy me.
    Performance is fine, no codes on the diagnostics, just that annoying rattle that's really bugging me.

I do a lot of fiddly stuff in work, so I don't mind the ripping.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    On m5 a presume? I have done loads on s54s but never on the v8, stripping them off is meant to be a big job on them. Timing on refit has to be perfect. Parts make it expensive, not just the vanos stuff, rocker cover gaksets seals o rings timing chain guides etc last s54 i done i spent 500 odd quid on gaksets an seals in bmw, and then another 400 on the vanos parts

Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    On m5 a presume? I have done loads on s54s but never on the v8, stripping them off is meant to be a big job on them. Timing on refit has to be perfect. Parts make it expensive, not just the vanos stuff, rocker cover gaksets seals o rings timing chain guides etc last s54 i done i spent 500 odd quid on gaksets an seals in bmw, and then another 400 on the vanos parts
    Yup my s62. I don't think the rocker cover gasket or timing gears / chains have to be removed, do they on a 6 pot?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Yup my s62. I don't think the rocker cover gasket or timing gears / chains have to be removed, do they on a 6 pot?

Have to remove rocker cover on both s62 and s54
    Well technicaly you can leave the chain in situ on the s54,but the cam bolts and chain guides are known weak points, so always do them at same time! S62 chain can stay in place, beisan systems sell all the parts in us, or hack engineering are there uk distributer, i always order off hack, sound guys and quick delivery, beisan have a very good diy on there website, youl need the correct time tools aswell!
    Last edited by alan b; 19-07-17 at 14:23.

Thanks, I might fire up the laptop and look them up after work.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Its not worth the hassle to price around, hack are a few quid more but its marginal and you can get the whole lot from them which is ideal. I was bored one day and did a spreadsheet of prices.

If they are helpful on the phone I'd happily give a few bob extra

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    If they are helpful on the phone I'd happily give a few bob extra

They are in fairness, or even on fb ive messaged them a few times and always happy to help!