Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a truly exciting diesel car exist?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Question Does a truly exciting diesel car exist?

Back on the Emerald Isle, doing major mileage for the foreseeable future and no amount of man maths can justify a big petrol engine again (trust me I've tried)... It doesn't help that I've been given a diesel eco box to use for the time being and I'm experiencing 55 real world mpg and 115.9 / L for the first time and I gotta tell you... it's bloody awful. All these years I had my head buried in the sand ignoring diesels but my god the economy is truly unbelievable.. Going 700 miles / 1120 km on one tank! And paying 65 euro to fill it?! This may be old news to some but it's mind blowing to me...

Anyway, this is all fairly depressing as it just makes it even more difficult to consider a petrol again. I know from previous experience that the 2 car approach doesn’t work for me so I need an "all in one” diesel solution... and that's the problem. Diesels can do economical, and diesels can do powerful... but can they do exciting? I just can't get excited about a diesel car... I've opened DoneDeal and Carzone and I lose interest before I get to the 2nd page of the search... it feels like what's the point? If it’s going to be boring, it might as well be any old box. Why spend “real” money on a car that doesn’t excite you, a car that doesn’t make you look forward to going to work on a miserable winter’s day just because it’s such a pleasure to drive?

So my question is this, is there a truly exciting diesel car, BMW or otherwise, that would convince a despairing petrol head to actually part with his money for one? I enjoyed every second in my old 335i, it was the right car everywhere, from the daily commute to the track... I wonder can a diesel car truly fill that gap? I'm not so sure...

I’ve driven a 335d and while it’s very powerful indeed, it left me completely cold. I’m curious about what the 123d and 225d are like, no doubt quick, but fun? I just keep thinking of the burble off my old e92 and that snap crackle and pop on the overrun and I can’t help but think “I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE” again… but with the mileage I’ll be doing not even a Dergside man-maths calculator can justify it

Administrator
    Is buying a diesel the right option? Probably decent value on them in the UK given the direction they are taking, but we'll follow closely, surely!!

Reckon a M135, might be the perfect all rounder for fun and reasonable practicality!? (as you are considering at 123d...had been thinking the same for herself, but been put off by the turnaround on diesels!)

BMWHaus Guru
    Given the choice, I'd have another 335i in a heartbeat but I'll be doing at least 6000 km a month (conservative estimate) so it just won't work. It'll have to be diesel I'm afraid!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Welcome back Peter. I've had my 123d for close to a year now and I have to say it's a great all rounder. Since getting it I've averaged 47MPG which isn't too bad although I had hoped for a little better.
    It's a quick car and handles very nicely while remaining very comfortable. Last week I had a trip down through Kerry along narrow twisty coast roads and it was fantastic.
    The steering feels very precise and the diesel lump has plenty to throw you from corner to corner.

The one constant feeling though is that there's something missing. It doesn't have the smile factor caused by the noise of a high revving petrol engine which dulls the experience.
    The gearbox also feels very laboured and clunky at low speeds.

You're welcome to give it a try if you're ever in the vacinity

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks Enda, it's great to hear an owner's perspective and you mentioned all the important stuff. It seems it's exactly what I thought, probably the most fun diesel out there but as you say without the sound/high revving smile factor. It's nice to know it's enjoyable when the going gets twisty though.

I may take you up on that offer if I find myself in your neck of the woods

I love mine... Fiesta Zetec S Diesel, Solid 58MPG.

I actually prefer driving it to the E36..... Only thing I miss is the noise and not having to rev it like a petrol.

What about an STD?

A Focus ST Diesel.

BMWHaus Guru
    One of the guys in work has a 161 ST3 D, all show and no go, awful slow lump if you ask me. Surprisingly heavy car too, circa 1500kg.

Depending how much you're willing to spend, a twin turbo diesel with the eight speed is the way to go for fast diesels.

I've resigned to go for a moderately powerful diesel, want 50MPG, (F10 or F01) and as funds allow get a proper petrol, something encased around an LS3 if I can manage it!
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru
    Welcome back Peter. Our 120d is actually a great fun little car, can really chuck it around if you want. Quicker than 90% of other things on the road too I'd say

BMWHaus Contributor
    The answer is no, and exciting diesel does not exist. I have had a 420d....great MPG, plenty speed plenty fast but not exciting at all. 640d, plenty fast, pretty poor MPG (real world 26 mpg as opposed to the claimed 50 ish). The speed was there but again the excitement was not.

The thing is excitement is not a function of the speed, its sound, responsiveness, urgency, gearing, ability to rev high, and the setup of the steering and suspension. You cannot tune an engine for economy but still maintain the cars will to take off suddenly. Gearing is a major player also. My 640d had 8 gears and just seemed to want to get you into gear 7 or 8 as fast as possible, each gear only lasted a second at WOT. I had a 911 that could go from 0-120kph in second gear....not that was fun and loud.

Honestly electric cars are the closest to exciting economy there is...I have not driven one (hybrids yes) but a number of reviewers are not impressed with acceleration and are left cold by them.

You could be dead tomorrow, get the car you want and enjoy life. 700 mile of boredom from a tank is depressing. No point in one crap car and one good one...you will always take the good one.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    excitement is not a function of the speed, its sound, responsiveness, urgency, gearing, ability to rev high, and the setup of the steering and suspension.
    +100
    this is why I keep got the CooperS alongside the 320D