Diesel focus wouldn't be my cup of tea to be honest. Was thinking an LCI e92 320d with some toys but I can't bring myself to part with money for one when for the same money you could have a cracking 335i.

@Don 1 series coupé, particularly a 123d definitely seems like a more attractive proposition than a 320d/520d with Twin turbos/more power and a smaller, lighter body. I think it would be more fun in the corners too. It's probably on top of the list as far as diesels go.

@Moe I couldn't agree with you more, Moe. It's definitely not all about speed, steering and suspension make such a massive difference and I'm always banging on about gearing, it's definitely something that could make or break a car for me. I drove an e46 330ci a couple of years ago and couldn't get over the long gears, for a while I figured I could get one and fit an LSD with a different ratio and maybe an exhaust etc and then just thought it's not worth the hassle... Funny enough on the opposite end of the spectrum I thought the gearing in a little 116i was excellent, it's the lasting memory I have of driving it. It certainly wasn't quick but it was FUN, I liked the steering and suspension setup on it too, it was a genuinely entertaining car. I love the 4 series and I love the 6 series but I don't aspire to own a 420d or 640d.. And yes the 2 car approach can seem logical on paper but in reality you're never in the right car at the right time and as you say you don't ever want to drive the boring one but you still pay for it so what's the point?

I think I need to test drive a few cars and make a decision on whether to buy something like a 123d or possibly keep the eco box I'm using at the moment and save some money, take my time and eventually get something nice again.