Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e36 rear springs difference

e36 rear springs difference

Hi all can any one point which springs are the highest and from what e36 i have 320 cab on bbs rt wheels on back 9" 17 with tyres stretch but still rubbing slightly... wondering what springs would help before i get proper suspension...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    In the parts catalogue ETK there is a "Spring Table". The springs are determined by the model and the options fitted to them. I don't know how many different springs each model has but it is more than 5 or 6 at least for the e36, in fact it could be more than 10.

I ordered M3 springs for my e36 vert and I added the options fitted to my car wen choosing the part number. The part number changed as I added or removed things like Sport seats, fully automatic roof, etc.

I would say that SE springs would sit higher than Sport. But you can get stiffer ones by adding options in the spring table.

thats some reply thanks a lot ... i how to go through that i know e46 springs would fit as well so more options again

BMWHaus Contributor
    I've been dealing with this on my cab too. It sits at the same height as yours. Far too low! I don't like it. I'll be putting in SE springs as there was crappy JOM coilovers, then tried eibachs but still too low.

Yes John i thing i'll go with se as well , i'll start thread when car is at least clean

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Verts can drop quite a bit when a hardtop is installed so this too needs to be taken into account. Another small item that makes a bit of difference is the rear spring pads. Again there were quite a few different thicknesses and as E36's like to brake rear springs these were often forgotten to be put back in. So check these also. The thickness of the rear springs pads is specific to the rear springs in the car. I.E 5mm spring pads came with white stripe rear springs IIRC and so on so fourth. Rear spring pads range/d from 3mm up to 22mm again IIRC.

As Rebel Ranter said there are quite a few options for rear springs and going through the ETK is well worth it to find the right option for your car as there is different part numbers dependent on year and model of E36 verts and if msport of non msport also. Springs will also sag with age so fresh items will help in numerous ways. Check also that your rear shocks are fresh and will be able to handle new springs, if you feel they are past their sell by date swap them out also.

If I get time I shall check what springs are on my 318ic vert as it is standard height M-Sport, if springs are original they should be color marked and this will at least rule out buying these ones.....that being said with the hardtop on it still sits nicely and not too low at all. When I run the Motorsport wheels with 245/40/17 rear tires and hardtop on it does not rub at all, when I run the Throwing stars with stretch 215 tires it does but I do know for sure my rear shocks are weak and if the car is still on original springs (which I doubt) then they will be weakened at this stage in their lives for sure. On the 328 with the hardtop on it I have BC coilovers and the rear does sit too low even when adjusted high, the rear BC spring rates are to week for the 328ic with hardtop (as they came from 318is coupe) so I am waiting to get time to fit the stronger rear BC springs.

Hope this helps.
    CURRENT CARS:

Avus Blue 99 E36 318ic
    Arctic Silver 98 E36 328ic
    Montreal Blue 95 E36 320ic
    Avus Blue 99 E36 318is
    Hellrot 95 E36 318is trackcar soon

Galaxy Grey 06 Mazda RX-8 192bhp

Blue / silver 2003 Mitsubishi L200 Crewcab

Super
    4 BMW

ON FACEBOOK
    ON INSTAGRAM
    http://www.facebook.com/eisenmannireland
    super4offroad@gmail.com
    086-731-1738

yes i never took hardtop on count ... i did order standard se coils and while installing them will take the hardtop out ... and yes on motorsports no rubbing at all but they 7.5" or 8" where bbs are 9" ... thanks anyway for all replies...

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have fresh shocks in so I guess it's just the spring.

I have a few options available in work.

240mm and 227mm height and 14mm vs 15mm thickness. The latter being reinforced too....

I'll try one of them out.

Cheers for the details Cab

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Check your spring pads to John .
    CURRENT CARS:

Avus Blue 99 E36 318ic
    Arctic Silver 98 E36 328ic
    Montreal Blue 95 E36 320ic
    Avus Blue 99 E36 318is
    Hellrot 95 E36 318is trackcar soon

Galaxy Grey 06 Mazda RX-8 192bhp

Blue / silver 2003 Mitsubishi L200 Crewcab

Super
    4 BMW

ON FACEBOOK
    ON INSTAGRAM
    http://www.facebook.com/eisenmannireland
    super4offroad@gmail.com
    086-731-1738

BMWHaus Contributor
    Spring pads are there and 100%. Ive looked at them a few times during ownership.