Thread: E36 USB & Aux in port - help needed

BMWHaus Guru

E36 USB & Aux in port - help needed

I plan to change the existing Alpine head unit in the e36 to an CD43 which will look more OEM

In order to bring it up to date with Bluetooth and USB in I'm going to get one of these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F121543181090

However rather than having wires rattling around the cabin I want to fit an e90 USB / Aux in port.

This is where the fun starts. I want to change the port so that the e90 USB port connects directly to the USB port on the eBay BT device. Similarly I want the e90 3.5mm port connects directly to the 3.5mm port on the eBay BT device.

Does anyone know how the e90 can be modified to achieve this?

Thanks
    John

BMWHaus Guru
    Seems to be a good few how-to's posted on this - think I'll be giving this a go myself.

This one has a funky soundtrack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUgIOIATqY

BMWHaus Guru
    I’m sure it can be done but no need to do it. Fairly certain that’s the same kit as what I have in two E46’s and if so the USB port on apple devices will only charge the phone, not stream any music/data through it.

Also that device won’t automatically mute the radio when a call comes in, you must be in aux mode to do that which can be a pain when your listening to the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    Seems to be a good few how-to's posted on this - think I'll be giving this a go myself.

This one has a funky soundtrack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUgIOIATqY
    Thanks, the only problem was I couldn't follow any of them!!

This one makes sense but turns it into an AUX in cable rather than needing an interface if I understand rightly?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HealyC View Post
    I’m sure it can be done but no need to do it. Fairly certain that’s the same kit as what I have in two E46’s and if so the USB port on apple devices will only charge the phone, not stream any music/data through it.

Also that device won’t automatically mute the radio when a call comes in, you must be in aux mode to do that which can be a pain when your listening to the radio.

That's a fair point as I normally listen to the radio so would be a pain in the hole day to day.

However I do need 1) a way to charge my phone and 2) BT streaming as my little buddy likes to watch videos on YouTube when she's in the car with me.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hi John, the best unit I have came across and used is IO Play. Great sound quality, easy to install and very discreet. The only area is does not solve for you in the charging.

These sometimes come up on eBay and can be great value.

Current: F36, , 986 Boxster, E93 M3 Cab
    Gone: E36 M3 Cab, 635csi, e36 320 cab, e46 coupe, f10 tractor