Thread: Going from a 5 Series to a 4 Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Going from a 5 Series to a 4 Series

Hi guys,

I'm contemplating changing from a F10 520d to a F36 430d GC, both are similarly high spec M Sports. Has anyone done similar, did you regret it? Other than the performance difference, the 4 Series interior fit and finish is bit of a step down from the F10 but I'm hoping that the refinement and performance of the 6 pot engine will mitigate some or most of that drop in cabin refinement and comfort that the F10 has.

I haven't driven a 430d yet as most of them for sale are not close so I'm waiting for some dealers to get back to me with ballpark figures before I go test drive a few.

BMWHaus Guru
    Bazz - I can't comment specifically on the F10 and F36 comparison, but having and having had both 3 coupes and their "corresponding" 5's over a couple of generations, often alongside one another, I can say that there will be a noticeable difference in refinement. The 3's have always been a bit more driver focused and their size and weight advantages will usually give then an edge in outright handling (a good thing ) but the frameless doors and lesser sound deadening, etc. will mean that they have more ambient noise (road noise especially) - but this will be somewhat offset by the more pleasing and refined 6 pot in this case. Suspension will also be a bit more harsh and unforgiving, especially on RFT's, compared to a 5 but that's the price of being a bit more nimble. However, the extra weight of the 6 pot at the front becomes a bit of a double edged sword in that it may also make it feel a little more inclined to understeer earlier, maybe compared to a 4 pot version. The offsetting benefit of course is that it has the torque to be able to drive around that in many circumstances, although the auto-only spec may compromise that a little.

In terms of build quality, fit and finish, etc., my experience has been that the 5's are better put together, are significantly more cosseting overall and generally feel more like they are hewn from rock, especially on longer runs. We drive from Tipp to tiptop Donegal fairly regularly and the difference over a non-stop run like that is quite noticeable by the end.

A mixed bag of feedback here, so it really depends on your personal priorities. You'll definitely be more involved in the driving experience of the F36 but there is a price to pay. For the comfort and refinement of the 5, you'll obviously pay through it being a bit less communicative when you want to press on or are driving with entertainment being the ultimate priority. The 5's aren't shoddy in this way, just that the balance is tipped a little to the other priority.

I've contemplated a similar choice recently and my own conclusion was that I like the look of the GC and they are pretty good value in 430d spec, if shopping across the border or the water, but I personally feel that after a while I'd be looking at the refinement deficit and how to fill it. The answer might be a 530d in F10 m-sport spec. Caveat - my view on this could be shaped a little by having the option of wheeling out a coupe when the urge takes me.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

Thanks for the insightful post dergside. I'm going to see if I can get one for an extended test drive and see if I can live with the pros and cons. I had an E90 M Sport before so I definitely appreciate the sharper drive, stiffer suspension but also the superior comfort of the F10. An F10 530d would seem like an obvious choice but I'm on my second F10 and if I am changing I just fancy something else. A G30 is simply outside of my budget.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Buddy of mine had an F10 and wnet to a 4 Series GC. He's looking to get back into a 5 again. The rear seats in the 4gc rattle (common problem) because they are fold down - rear leg room also an issue. And as Dergside said he didn't find it as refined as the 5

BMWHaus Contributor
    Dergside has hit the nail on the head
    We run a 5 and a 4 coupe both 4 pot simply put I prefer to drive the 4 and be driven in the 5

Thanks lads, I'm keen to get back into more of a driver's car being honest. My F10 has a few rattles also, the passenger front door trim and from the sunroof frame. I gave up trying to fix them and don't hear them now.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I went from a 420d to a 640d and back to a 4 series. I agree with the above, the bigger BMW are more refined, but are dead to drive. The 4 series has a lovely interior, but in the non M the leather can be a bit naff. I dont know, if your not going for outright performance then it seems a lateral move at best. 520d or 430d performance will be similar enough. Practicality is down on the 4, the rear seats are super crampped.

If its driver focused get a 435d good value on x drive models around.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw...03541349249814
    I know this car and its owner, he went to a m4. Great car.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hi Bazz. I made the change from the F10 520d to 430d GC about 2.5 years ago.

Overall, I’m glad I did and prefer the 430d mainly for the handling the performance which are marked improvements on the 520d.

I would agree with the commentary above that it comes down to personal choices, and the 520d definitely has some advantages, particularly if you carry adults in the rear seats regularly.

Good luck with the decision and the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: F36, , 986 Boxster, E93 M3 Cab
    Gone: E36 M3 Cab, 635csi, e36 320 cab, e46 coupe, f10 tractor

Cheers lads.