Thread: Outdoor Car Cover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Outdoor Car Cover

Hey all, I’ll be putting the M3 to bed next week for the next 3 to 4 months and was hoping that somebody might have a recommendation of a good all-weather car cover that I can use for it? I’m acutely aware that there are some pitfalls to watch out for including paint damage and excess moisture so any tips people might have would be greatly appreciated.

BMWHaus Guru
    Car covers Ireland are worth contacting, it's run by a dude who was a fairly active member of driver a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Contributor
    I've got a cover for an e46 M3 for sale here if you want to take a look:

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/vbulletin/show...door-car-cover

Administrator
    I believe youve had a paint correction on the car recently? And to undo that with a car cover outdoors would be crazy IMO. If you are buying one, the ones Warren in Car Covers Ireland sells, are very good quality. But if it were me, Id seek out dry storage for the few months.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
    I believe youve had a paint correction on the car recently? And to undo that with a car cover outdoors would be crazy IMO. If you are buying one, the ones Warren in Car Covers Ireland sells, are very good quality. But if it were me, Id seek out dry storage for the few months.
    Sadly dry storage is not an option, so the choices are leaving it sitting open to the elements or cover it up. What would you choose?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by IRISHD M3 View Post
    Sadly dry storage is not an option, so the choices are leaving it sitting open to the elements or cover it up. What would you choose?
    If the car was on the road, it would be in the elements, so if dry storage or the carcoon (as the lads mentioned) isnt an option, I would be doing my best to shelter it, without the shelter potentially damaging the car - for example, if you had a space you could cover to keep the majority of the element away from the car; boundary wall and side of house, bridge the gap with something suitable.

I had wedding ribbon on my car once, and only for about 3hrs and of that, 25 mins driving; the bonnet, was nicely marked afterwards - cant imagine what 3 months under a cover would do.....granted, thats my view of damage; many others wouldnt even bat an eyelid to it.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I use a carcoon. It sits outside all year long inside an inflated cover. Nothing touches the car inside so it is free from friction. They are about 5-600 euro but they are top class. Mine has probably had about 33months of consistent use since aug 2014. And its still perfect.

BMWHaus Guru
    I used an outdoor Carcoon also for an E21 during the good times when the garage was full. Great item.