Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E70 x5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E70 x5

For the past few months I've been getting increasing pressure from 'she who makes the rules' to go 7 seats - I won't get into the in's / out's of this debate suffice to say I've accepted it's probably inevitable. I'm currently driving a 2006 R53 Cooper S, love it and want to keep it. I also promised my kids I'd keep it for them until they are old enough to drive (only another 10 years ). She has the e90 and until yesterday my intention was to trade this in for something newer with the 7-seats. The mini is a good example (low mileage at 118k kms, factory LSD, good service history, etc) so now I'm thinking of taking the mini off the road and getting myself into a 7-seater E70 X5. Then maybe later next year get her into a new smaller car like an A3. I have a budget which I don't have to spend and I don't really care if it's 2008 or 2012 (assuming within budget). We don't do much in terms of mileage so daily running costs don't bother me but I would like to understand more the annual maintenance costs, basic servicing, etc - I've read they are hard on tyres, bushes, etc but how hard - we'd average 10km per day with the odd longer trips thrown in so I'm struggling to see how costs could be very onerous but clearly I don't know hence this post and hopefully some real feedback based on experience?

Is it a mad idea?

Thanks in advance.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I had one a few years back a E70 7 seater. My wife drove it and did similar milage to what you are suggesting. It was for me a very expensive car to run. Disregarding tax, fuel and insurance.
    1. Was hard on tyres - 2000 euro for a set (ours was a m sport with big rubber).
    2. Oil leak from the crank shaft - 1500 to fix.
    3. Various bits of trim breaking - 500 euro.
    4. Brakes all the time, discs rotors and fluid 2500 to change.
    5. Had two batteries - 350 each.
    6. Front control arms done - 800 euro.
    7. Had to change the locks due to keys being robbed - 900 euro.

It was the most expensive car I ever ran. Good jammer mind you, fast and comfortable, but running costs are very high. Maybe an indie would be better, but we have a XC90 at the moment and it costs basically nothing to maintain, and is more practical.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

Administrator
    Based on what Moe experienced, that'll adjust some of the future wishes...updated plan below!

Plan to own
    E39 M5

Eh, scratch that..
    E70 X5

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Crank seal replaced - max 500€
    tires max 2000€
    arms today about 400-500€
    keys its not item to be mentioned
    battery max 200€

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Todays their problems :
    front arms and bushes
    brakes
    oil leak all around engine
    gearbox oil leak
    glow plugs and relay
    DPF problems
    hand brake motor , main dealer only nearly grand
    other front arms and track rods , pretty same as any E39 , or E60 model would need these days , as most well over 100-130k mls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I had one a few years back a E70 7 seater. My wife drove it and did similar milage to what you are suggesting. It was for me a very expensive car to run. Disregarding tax, fuel and insurance.
    1. Was hard on tyres - 2000 euro for a set (ours was a m sport with big rubber).
    2. Oil leak from the crank shaft - 1500 to fix.
    3. Various bits of trim breaking - 500 euro.
    4. Brakes all the time, discs rotors and fluid 2500 to change.
    5. Had two batteries - 350 each.
    6. Front control arms done - 800 euro.
    7. Had to change the locks due to keys being robbed - 900 euro.

It was the most expensive car I ever ran. Good jammer mind you, fast and comfortable, but running costs are very high. Maybe an indie would be better, but we have a XC90 at the moment and it costs basically nothing to maintain, and is more practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    Todays their problems :
    front arms and bushes
    brakes
    oil leak all around engine
    gearbox oil leak
    glow plugs and relay
    DPF problems
    hand brake motor , main dealer only nearly grand
    other front arms and track rods , pretty same as any E39 , or E60 model would need these days , as most well over 100-130k mls
    Other than that they are fine!
    Last edited by rebel.ranter; 01-12-17 at 13:38.

BMWHaus Guru

E70 x5

I had a 2008 e70 in 2013 for about 6 months.

It only had 25k miles on it but I thought it wasn't a patch on the 100k mile 2006 e53 x5 which we also had.

Like Mor it was the overall build quality which I didn't like, e.g. interior trim bits were loose and rattley. We ended up keeping the e53 for another 3 years instead of the e70.

Thanks for all the replies - I knew they'd be more expensive and would have been willing to go to a point but seems from this feedback like one could have a plethora of expensive problems even for an Indie..... back to the drawing board i guess.

Might be easier for me to go hunting suggestions on alternative 7 seaters

Administrator
    The Qashqai +2 must be a fine motor.....they are everywhere!

Odd on the tyres...

I'm on 25k+ miles on the rear tyres with still meat left on it. I bought 2 20" Bridgestone dueler rft for about 600 total last year...

It's heavy enough on front pads alright and I've had the control arms replaced too.

I'm lucky in that I took out the BMW comprehensive warranty which apart from covering failures also covers wear and tear up to 100k miles. Downside is I'm paying about the same as the road tax for the year.

I had a headlight fault (wouldn't go on full beam on driver side) - the headlight alone was €1450+vat and fitting it involved taking off the front of the car. Thankfully the warranty covered it as looking around the UK even couldn't source a second had adaptive xenon headlight.

Yeah the road tax is a bit steep but it is an inline 6 diesel so it's smooth with lots of torque. Oh and the fuel economy sucks but I did pick this vehicle over a 4.8S Cayenne for this reason. Expect to spend €100 filling it and get about 400 miles for the privilege.

Mine has been tough enough on maintenance and I reckon I've probably claimed 5-6k in warranty this year (BMW rates of course).

I love it - they are very comfortable.. automatic (only) and plenty of power. I've been toying with getting a 4.0d but at 40k for a 2012 from a dealer (you get 2 year BMW warranty if you it from a main dealer - which is probably worth about 6-7k if you took it out yourself). The issue I have is mine is an ex-demo launch vehicle with a silly spec and I'd end up spending 30k along with it to get something about 4-5 years newer and probably higher mileage (and lower spec) but fundamentally the same vehicle.

Ironically my wife thinks it's cheaper to run that the 911 I drove for 8 years.... Ummmm no....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk