Thread: Up sizing?

BMWHaus Guru

Up sizing?

Looking at new front tyres on the 120d.
    Currently on stock size 215 40 18 Bridgestone RE050 runflats.

Can I go to 225 40 18 Bridgestone without too many issues?
    I feel the current size does nothing for the comfort.

Any opinions?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Looking at new front tyres on the 120d.
    Currently on stock size 215 40 18 Bridgestone RE050 runflats.

Can I go to 225 40 18 Bridgestone without too many issues?
    I feel the current size does nothing for the comfort.

Any opinions?
    I just had a look on the comparison tool on https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ and looks like it'll make no real difference

Administrator
    As John said, no real difference.
    The 40 for tyre wall height represents 40% of the width of the tyre, so a 4mm higher wall, 8mm in overall diameter change...small change on the speedo.

Go for whichever tyre size is cheaper; as sometimes if a tyre size is more popular even though it's bigger it can be cheaper

BMWHaus Contributor
    I did the same when I changed the wheels on my 123d last month. Front's went from 215/40/18 to 225/40/18 without any clearance issues and I do think it reduced the harshness.
    The change on the rears has caused a slight rubbing at times so I might go down a size with the next set of tyres

BMWHaus Guru
    Great stuff lads, exactly what I wanna hear, the price saving is a nice bonus too...the larger more common size is €50 a corner cheaper than the smaller 215 size.

BMWHaus Guru
    Great stuff lads, exactly what I wanna hear, the price saving is a nice bonus too...the larger more common size is €50 a corner cheaper than the smaller 215 size.
    Did we not mention the advice cost €250

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Did we not mention the advice cost €250
    Cheques in the post

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC View Post
    I did the same when I changed the wheels on my 123d last month. Front's went from 215/40/18 to 225/40/18 without any clearance issues and I do think it reduced the harshness.
    The change on the rears has caused a slight rubbing at times so I might go down a size with the next set of tyres
    Don't need rears yet, but if I was changing I'd say I'd look at 255 35 18 instead of the 245 35 18...shouldnt be a big change there?

Also, has anyone ordered off Mytyres.co.uk? They're coming in €20 cheaper per tyre than camskill or Oponeo
    Last edited by Don B; 02-12-17 at 06:18.

BMWHaus Guru
    Cheques in the post
    Sounds like all my customers! 🤣

Don't need rears yet, but if I was changing I'd say I'd look at 255 35 18 instead of the 245 35 18...shouldnt be a big change there?
    Nope, minimal difference

Also, has anyone ordered off Mytyres.co.uk? They're coming in €20 cheaper per tyre than camskill or Oponeo
    Nope, never tried them

BMWHaus Contributor
    Cheques in the post

I went from 245/35 to 255/40 but the wheel offset changed as well so probably a mixture of things contributing to the rubbing. And it's only really on certain speed bumps so not overly noticeably.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by EndaC View Post
    I went from 245/35 to 255/40 but the wheel offset changed as well so probably a mixture of things contributing to the rubbing. And it's only really on certain speed bumps so not overly noticeably.
    Ah ok, offset is probably the issue alright, have had that in the past with the A.C. Schnitzer wheels in had with certain tyre brands