Hi guys.

Currently dailying an E46 320d. Only have it about 6 weeks but it's a great car, brilliant on fuel too. Only thing is in the last few weeks it's started to feel a bit down on power. And then in the last few days it's getting choked at around 3k Rpm when overtaking etc. There's a very light top end rattle power completely drops off and there's a big cloud of black smoke,but if you keep your foot down it seems to pass through that and regains some power before 4k rpm.

I've searched around a good bit and the internet says the usual culprits would be swirl flaps,map sensor,boost leak,egr valve etc. But all of these things are checked off the list so far. Is there anything else it could be? I'm hoping it's not the turbo at it seemed to be boosting fine up until a few days ago. I've checked the air breather filter also and that seems fine.

Should the maf sensor unplugged bring the engine back to life a bit? As there seemed to be zero change when I unplugged it.

Anyone else had a similar experience? It's starting to make me think the car is just gonna pack in the next time I do a pull or overtake something on the motorway.