Thread: BMW E36 Heater Blower issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BMW E36 Heater Blower issue

Bit of a strange issue with my E36 Blower motor it seems to work intermittently. At first it would only work for a few minutes when the car was started on the highest speed so i changed the Final stage resistor for a working one from another e36 which i know was working perfect. Put it into the car and it works on all speeds now but again only runs for a few minutes and stops.
    Its a basic analogue system not the climate control when the fan works it sounds perfect not like it is worn out or damaged. Anyone any idea what the issue is?

BMWHaus Guru
    Bearing is gone in the fan under the cowling
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

The fan sounds perfect when its running though very quiet and seems to work as it should. if a bearing was gone it would be very noisy. Seems to be more of an intermittent electrical fault. Probably have to strip out the fan and take a look

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwe34 View Post
    The fan sounds perfect when its running though very quiet and seems to work as it should. if a bearing was gone it would be very noisy. Seems to be more of an intermittent electrical fault. Probably have to strip out the fan and take a look
    I did mine recently. Was ok too. Then became intermittent and only worked only round sharp bends! Swapped out and all is fine again. I agree with correct diagnosis too. You should be able to strip the cowling back to get a multimeter on it with not too much hassle.
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

I think i might have the same issue as you because i did notice when i went around a sharp bend it started to work again and it seems to work when the car is first started. I have a spare motor from a digital climate control car would this be the same as the analogue motor? is it much of a job to pull the motor out to replace?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwe34 View Post
    I think i might have the same issue as you because i did notice when i went around a sharp bend it started to work again and it seems to work when the car is first started. I have a spare motor from a digital climate control car would this be the same as the analogue motor? is it much of a job to pull the motor out to replace?
    Ah it's not a bad job just more awkward than anything. Essentially it's a case of taking off the plastics and the wire that's used to change the direction of the air. Orientation of the fan on removal and installation is key as it's a very tight fit. You need to be careful of the hoses on the back of the engine. The fan itself should be the same but to rule out any issues I'd run the part number through realoem to be sure. Feel free to drop me a pm with any specific questions you might have and I'd be happy to go into more detail.