Thread: Declaring mods to Insurance...

BMWHaus Guru

Declaring mods to Insurance...

Just be interested to hear from anyone who has done mods and declared to insurance, what was the cost or not?

So list your mod or mods and insurance premium cost/impact as a result. Oh perhaps list your insurer also.

I am considering possibly fitting some spacers and a set of eibach springs so curious to get an idea of the variety of mods out there that cost or not or are not allowed.

I am sure will be of interest to others also.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Declaring mods to Insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Just be interested to hear from anyone who has done mods and declared to insurance, what was the cost or not?

So list your mod or mods and insurance premium cost/impact as a result. Oh perhaps list your insurer also.

I am considering possibly fitting some spacers and a set of eibach springs so curious to get an idea of the variety of mods out there that cost or not or are not allowed.

I am sure will be of interest to others also.
    is the lack of responses saying something?

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: Declaring mods to Insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    is the lack of responses saying something?
    That's what I am thinking, else no one on here does any mods. :-/

When I am reading on UK forums they tend to always be on about telling insurance everything, so was curious about here.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: Declaring mods to Insurance...

Either that or most likely there not declared,a CD player is a mod. In all honesty how many people ring there insurance company to tell them they got a new radio

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Hi Eddie,

I have the following mods declared on my insurance with FBD :

Coilovers
    Alloys
    Half cage - Although don't have it yet!!! Lol

TBH I cannot remember what my premium was now but it was reasonable enough for a 33 yr old male. Its a nice piece of mind if I'm honest so either way a good result.

Cab
    Super4

BMWHaus Contributor

I would tend to think "mods" for an insurer is anything that changes the original car driveline such as bigger tyres, lower suspension this kind of things. A shark antenna would not be a mod that would affect in anyway the driving experience in my book. But last time I renewed my insurance in july axa asked me if I had a performance intake filter...I dont, they must have a different view on mods. An air filter with higher air flow will mainly make your engine dirtier, nothing else. It has been established it does not do anything really to performance.

Now for radios, sound systems etc it is only worth mentionning if the insurance can provide an optional provision for accessories to cover these. Most of the time they dont. Ask them if you need to get covered.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Super4
    Hi Eddie,

I have the following mods declared on my insurance with FBD :

Coilovers
    Alloys
    Half cage - Although don't have it yet!!! Lol

TBH I cannot remember what my premium was now but it was reasonable enough for a 33 yr old male. Its a nice piece of mind if I'm honest so either way a good result.

Cab
    Super4
    Hi Cab,

So when you called them up is it simply just a case they note the changes and then provide you a new quote/premium based on what they are? Do you have to declare a cost for each mod?

Interested to know the process? Anything they would not cover?

Thanks again,
    Eddie

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Hi Eddie

Tbh when i called i just said what was on the car and never asked what else they covered. I was not given an individual break down on what each additional item costs. Just be sure that once they say no problem your covered with mods to ask for it in writing so as there is no problems later on.

They were not overly concerned about the alloys and coilovers being truthful.

Hope this helps,

Cab

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

pointless when it's both not inforced or punished..as long as you don't go full retard and mod the complete balls out of the car your grand