7 58.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E60 545i or 535d

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E60 545i or 535d

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Having a diesel that struggles to do 35mpg is pointless!
    I'd be looking it at more as a 300hp car that does 30+ mpg. Maybe I'm kidding myself.
    When did they ever produce 300hp??
    286bhp standard on the LCI model.
    Safe remaps can produce 350bhp with ease!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheBazman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    276bhp ,but they pass 300 with ease after a remap
    And then the turbo blows up in your face and any shred of warranty that came with the car with it.
    Mine is over 340bhp with 250k kms on it (the last 100k or so with the remap) and no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    I'd be looking it at more as a 300hp car that does 30+ mpg. Maybe I'm kidding myself.
    What mpg do these cars do now that they are remapped?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by TheBazman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    276bhp ,but they pass 300 with ease after a remap
    And then the turbo blows up in your face and any shred of warranty that came with the car with it.
    Mine is over 340bhp with 250k kms on it (the last 100k or so with the remap) and no issues.
    What mpg do these cars do now that they are remapped?
    Don't know. Don't care.
    Mine is not remapped at present.

BMWHaus Guru

Don't know. Don't care.
    So if you dont know or dont care, why are you quoting performance figures from remaps?

Do people buy a 535d because of its performance??? :huh:

BMWHaus Contributor

Don't know. Don't care.
    So if you dont know or dont care, why are you quoting performance figures from remaps?

Do people buy a 535d because of its performance??? :huh:
    Because you asked

"Since when are they 300bhp"
    To which I pointed out that they are 286 bhp, which is not a million miles from 300 in all honesty.

So what's your gripe?

re mpg - i do 70% motorway and 30% city and driving hard I get around 31- 32 mpg (driving in a similar manner in my old M5 was getting 16 - 17mpg). If I take it easy I get 38mpg.

BMWHaus Guru

So what's your gripe?
    My gripe is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread.

A diesel that struggles to do 35mpg is pointless.

The total cost of ownership of these cars is higher than that of their petrol powered equivalents, due to higher purchasing costs and maintenance/repair costs through having vastly more complicated engines. Therefore the only way to counteract this is if the diesel car can make this extra cost back on day to day running costs i.e. fuel economy. But in actual fact the E60 535d will really only do 10mpg more than that of the 545i. So how many miles do you need to do for the extra 10mpg to make up the extra cost of buying and maintaining the diesel??????? (you'd be talking sales rep mileage)

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

yes its lot true about John said how many miles must be done to get point of keeping diesel car ,BUT ,these V8 so shit in my opinion ,chains ,sliders,valve seals ,oil leaks ,vanos units ,valvetronic systems and so list goes on.Non of them will do mileage- diesel does .so its minuses an pluses on both sides as all ways

BMWHaus Guru

Don't know about that MPG John, my old 335d absolutely battered the previous 325ti in terms of economy & range when doing about 20k miles pa. On top of that the performance was very impressive, especially when overtaking (not just for a diesel!), and the car was almost "old school" GT-like in the way it would cover large distances effortlessly

Saying all that, I'll take a petrol engine every time for the fun stuff, even one that isn't as fast. But as a single car to cover all the bases then a 35d takes some beating

BMWHaus Contributor

So what's your gripe?
    My gripe is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread.

A diesel that struggles to do 35mpg is pointless.

The total cost of ownership of these cars is higher than that of their petrol powered equivalents, due to higher purchasing costs and maintenance/repair costs through having vastly more complicated engines. Therefore the only way to counteract this is if the diesel car can make this extra cost back on day to day running costs i.e. fuel economy. But in actual fact the E60 535d will really only do 10mpg more than that of the 545i. So how many miles do you need to do for the extra 10mpg to make up the extra cost of buying and maintaining the diesel??????? (you'd be talking sales rep mileage)
    LOL, it seems to depend on what day of the week it is with you John, one day your harping on about how complicated M engines are and how important a warranty is then the next day your telling us how much more complicated a BMW diesel engine is? Bearing in mind that the M57 in some shape or anther has been around since c. 2000.

When you put a V8 beside an I6 it really doesn't matter what way you look at it the V8 is always going to more complex. Regarding the servicing cost, how to you figure that its maintenance will be more? Same oil, same quantity, same filter (more or less) same size tyres, same air filter, same brake pads/ discs, same suspension etc? Right buying them may cost a little more, but a Dacia Sandero will be cheaper than a Mercedes S500 but that's because its shit.