Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
Quote Originally Posted by kceire
So what's your gripe?
My gripe is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread.

A diesel that struggles to do 35mpg is pointless.

The total cost of ownership of these cars is higher than that of their petrol powered equivalents, due to higher purchasing costs and maintenance/repair costs through having vastly more complicated engines. Therefore the only way to counteract this is if the diesel car can make this extra cost back on day to day running costs i.e. fuel economy. But in actual fact the E60 535d will really only do 10mpg more than that of the 545i. So how many miles do you need to do for the extra 10mpg to make up the extra cost of buying and maintaining the diesel??????? (you'd be talking sales rep mileage)
LOL, it seems to depend on what day of the week it is with you John, one day your harping on about how complicated M engines are and how important a warranty is then the next day your telling us how much more complicated a BMW diesel engine is? Bearing in mind that the M57 in some shape or anther has been around since c. 2000.

When you put a V8 beside an I6 it really doesn't matter what way you look at it the V8 is always going to more complex. Regarding the servicing cost, how to you figure that its maintenance will be more? Same oil, same quantity, same filter (more or less) same size tyres, same air filter, same brake pads/ discs, same suspension etc? Right buying them may cost a little more, but a Dacia Sandero will be cheaper than a Mercedes S500 but that's because its shit.