Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Religion

I got into a taxi on Dublin a short while ago. A nice newish E class so I was happy it’s not the usually smelly Prius.

I quickly noticed the radio was tuned to “Spirit” which is a Christian music station. It seems to be a bit like Q102 with a bit of well intended holiness in between the songs.

I have to admit that my first thought when I realised what station was on was “Ah jaysus, I hope this driver’s not a looper”. There’s nothing about him to suggest there is. It was purely my reaction to a bit a religion creeping into normal life.

I’m a good Irish lapsed Catholic. I got married in the local church and the child’s baptised but I’ll just about make to mass on Christmas Day etc etc.

I’m wondering if my reaction is a typical response and a reflection of the decline of religion in Irish life, or am I just a grumpy old bigot?

BMWHaus Guru
    Nope I’d be the exact same. I do personally struggle with my belief of being a catholic mostly due to the horrors there churches hid for so many years.

Buttttttt I do have huge respect for people with a strong faith and so many within the Catholic Church (and all other religions) do so much greatness for mankind.

It’s good for your mind to think that behind all of this madness we lead in our lives that someone is looking out for us because fuck me I need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
    I'd have had the same reaction John! And very same as yourself regarding wedding, kids baptised and attending mass only at Christmas, other than events aforementioned and funerals.
    I think the majority would have the same reaction and that religion means little other than playing a part in setting a moral compass for the youth coming through.

BMWHaus Guru
    It's a very typical response, I grew up in a reasonably strict catholic house, you're talking latin mass and the occasional dose of catechism but I was always encouraged to read and decide for myself. The more I've learned about religion, the more I simply don't like it, I would now categorise myself as agnostic.

I don't want to go into any real details but I recently attended a personal development workshop by chance, that was quite remarkable, I was impressed by the topics discussed and the perspective from which they were presented, I really walked away from it feeling like it was a great experience. I then found out that the speaker was Mormon and immediately, the individual lost all credibility in my mind. I know I am unequivocally wrong to draw that conclusion but it's almost a knee jerk reaction.

It's an interesting topic but usually creates friction. I don't like people pontificating and certainly would hate to be one to do so but Ricky Gervais made a really interesting point when interviewed by Stephen Colbert recently, he hypothesised that if you were to destroy all scientific materials and research, simultaneously did likewise with religious texts and artefacts, that in an arbitrary period of time, the exact same scientific content would be produced, the religious content wouldn't and I believe he is quite right.

That being said, when it comes to people dealing with difficult situations or trauma, if that's what it takes for them to soldier on, then I'm all for it, sometimes people just need a light at the end of the tunnel or the sense that a higher power will give them the strength they need and I admire them for it, I couldn't do it.

BMWHaus Guru
    I think most of similar age would be of the same approach if brought up as a Catholic in this country. And again local catholic school for the child and baptised too. I go to mass for Christmas as a bit of torture and tradition and other occasions plus we held my mothers funeral a year or so ago in the church.

Unfortunately I was doing religion homework with said child the other evening and we both had a good laugh with my version of what they were supposed to be learning.

I find it impossible at this stage to accept much or anything that the church spouts these days. They are still preaching and trying to tell people how to live their lives and marriages etc, from people with zero experience. Add to that the atrocities, abuse, murder, extent of wealth etc and I just have no time for them. Plus how is our religion “The” religion out of all of them? Plus they have gotten away with so much.

My approach to life is I have adopted a Christian attitude, if that’s the right term. I wear my heart on my sleeve, I treat people how I would want to be, do my best for people and try and help them if I can. I am bound by my self imposed morals plus the tenets I try to live by, as practiced in my martial art of Taekwon-Do.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think most of similar age would be of the same approach if brought up as a Catholic in this country. And again local catholic school for the child and baptised too. I go to mass for Christmas as a bit of torture and tradition and other occasions plus we held my mothers funeral a year or so ago in the church.

Unfortunately I was doing religion homework with said child the other evening and we both had a good laugh with my version of what they were supposed to be learning.

I find it impossible at this stage to accept much or anything that the church spouts these days. They are still preaching and trying to tell people how to live their lives and marriages etc, from people with zero experience. Add to that the atrocities, abuse, murder, extent of wealth etc and I just have no time for them. Plus how is our religion “The” religion out of all of them? Plus they have gotten away with so much.

My approach to life is I have adopted a Christian attitude, if that’s the right term. I wear my heart on my sleeve, I treat people how I would want to be, do my best for people and try and help them if I can. I am bound by my self imposed morals plus the tenets I try to live by, as practiced in my martial art of Taekwon-Do.

Well put Andy, that's all it takes, as Jim Jefferies once said, a bible should consist of one line and if you life your life by this line, you'll get along fine.

"Don't be a c*nt"

BMWHaus Guru
    I think it’s a very interesting topic. I remember as a kid every mass on Sunday was jammers, Christmas and Easter meant the outside was jammed too. We had mass on Wednesday in schools with the odd extra one during the week thrown in for good measure. However now I get itchy during mass.

Given that the Big Bang is happened and given that we accept time is (mostly) linear there has to have been something or someone before the Big Bang to trigger it all. I’m ok with that.

I also think the structure and ritual of religion is very useful at times of grief and crisis. I also think the ritual of taking time out every week to think there’s more to life than your immediate focus is a good think.

I also think the various churches provided social structure for centuries when it otherwise wouldn’t have existed. The dark ages happened after the monasteries had been sacked and ruined. A lot of religious concepts provide social cohesion which is a good thing, particularly historically when it might not have occurred otherwise.

What I can’t abide is the contradictions within religious teaching. For example the Catholic Church says the host turns into the body of Christ after Communion. It is not a representation, it is the body of Christ, they say. Well if that’s the case why is it not gluten free after it changes from bread to flesh meaning I can’t eat it? Sounds fishy to me.

I also despise the way in which the institution that is each church closed ranks (not just Catholic Church) in cases of abuse and moved abusers around.

Having a moral compass is important for us all but the more I think about it I think i distrust the integrity of the messages conveyed by modern Christians. I think there must be a catch.

BMWHaus Contributor
    First Point. Adam and Eve had two sons. So where did everyone else come from?
    Second Point. Are there still grown adults out there who believe that 2 polar bears and 2 penguins walked all the way from the North Pole to the Middle East to get on a boat (Noah’s arc)??

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    First Point. Adam and Eve had two sons. So where did everyone else come from?
    Second Point. Are there still grown adults out there who believe that 2 polar bears and 2 penguins walked all the way from the North Pole to the Middle East to get on a boat (Noah’s arc)??
    Here's another mind blower, where are the Kangaroos?

BMWHaus Guru
    EDIT: I don’t think I met you eamo!