Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New garage - opinions needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Site Sponsor

New garage - opinions needed

Hi All,

I am going to be losing my garage to a house extension in the near future. This is not a bad thing as my current garage is not ideal for storing the M3. I literally have to get ramps out every time to get it out of the garage and the opening is very narrow.

I have the opportunity to look at building a new garage and wanted to get some ideas from anyone that has maybe built their own specifically for housing cars. I would ideally like to have a wide roller door with a roof height that would allow for the installation of an in-floor scissor lift in the future if funds allow. My architect is not enamoured with the idea as she is “all about the house design” and doesn’t understand the necessity for a well designed garage. I have plenty of space around the house but I don’t want to go crazy on the size either. I was thinking of something around 5m x 6m.

I’ve looked online but not really getting any inspiration.

Budget for now is around €15K and ideally I’d like a block building but it would be tight to get it within €15k so probably need to look at alternative options.

Thought welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    Hi All,

I am going to be losing my garage to a house extension in the near future. This is not a bad thing as my current garage is not ideal for storing the M3. I literally have to get ramps out every time to get it out of the garage and the opening is very narrow.

I have the opportunity to look at building a new garage and wanted to get some ideas from anyone that has maybe built their own specifically for housing cars. I would ideally like to have a wide roller door with a roof height that would allow for the installation of an in-floor scissor lift in the future if funds allow. My architect is not enamoured with the idea as she is “all about the house design” and doesn’t understand the necessity for a well designed garage. I have plenty of space around the house but I don’t want to go crazy on the size either. I was thinking of something around 5m x 6m.

I’ve looked online but not really getting any inspiration.

Budget for now is around €15K and ideally I’d like a block building but it would be tight to get it within €15k so probably need to look at alternative options.

Thought welcome.

There is a company called Steeltech Sheds that have a huge amount of prefabricated options and also allow you to customise it to your own requirements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    My architect is not enamoured with the idea as she is “all about the house design” and doesn’t understand the necessity for a well designed garage
    How much is she paying you to design your house?

Something like this? - pit on one side, solid on the other!

On special on that site - 4k for a 6m*5m roller shutter door version. Was in one recently, 9m*6m roller shutter to the front, side door, 6 cars at a squeeze. Nice bit of kit.

Rough concrete base, and Swisstrax Floor (shameless plug ) and jobs a good'un!

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
    How much is she paying you to design your house?

Something like this? - pit on one side, solid on the other!

On special on that site - 4k for a 6m*5m roller shutter door version. Was in one recently, 9m*6m roller shutter to the front, side door, 6 cars at a squeeze. Nice bit of kit.

Rough concrete base, and Swisstrax Floor (shameless plug ) and jobs a good'un!
    Don’t worry, I’ll be going for the Swisstrax floor at some stage.

Not really a fan of the pit, ideally looking for a scissor lift.

I’ve looked at a few options from different steel shed suppliers and ideally I would go for an insulated one.

Does anyone here have one? Pros and cons?

BMWHaus Guru
    If you are getting a steel shed and an insulated version, don’t choose PIR insulation as it will degas and loose its therm al performance over time. EPS is a far better choice. I have seen another company using a spray foam also. There are reports that this material can cause health issues over time. Also spraying it directly to the metal is a bad idea without a separation air layer imho.

build it bigger than you think you need... my Garage is a 3 car garage (with a room built in at the back) which i will incorporate into the main garage this summer, we looked at 5 or 6 houses and i turned them all done due to Garage space essentially.. its amazing how much space you use when working on cars, especially with a project car ect, best advice would be to build a comfortable size to work around the car with the doors open, if i were home id wire it for you and give you best advice on what to go for power wise (and a keen price to wire it too ) , lighting is key, pay cheap pay twice, lots of natural light is good too, and some 5ft LED lights would be the best option also get your electrician to put in a Welding socket even if you dont think you will weld, its cheaper to do it in the building process rather than to add it later, hope it works out for you i found it as exiting to renovate the garage as it was to do the house .. maybe thats a man thing

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Andy and Feens, thank you for your input. It’s greatly appreciated.

I agree about the insulation. Steel sheds are not my preference but they give the best bang for your buck.

Great advise on the welding socket. I have a small welder at the minute but never really use it that much.
    I want to put in an air compressor also (min 100 litre) and have an air line around the perimeter. This will also be used for releasing the locks on the scissor lift (if and when I get it).

Natural light is always good but I really am not a fan of the lighting panels on the roof of steel sheds although I do see the value to them.

BMWHaus Guru
    This is great info as I plan on doing the same, I'm going to go for a shed rather than block/roof style garage to lower costs. I definitely want space for a two post lift!

This kind of style but insulated:

https://www.steeltechsheds.ie/produc...8d794018f7/765
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron View Post
    This is great info as I plan on doing the same, I'm going to go for a shed rather than block/roof style garage to lower costs. I definitely want space for a two post lift!

This kind of style but insulated:

https://www.steeltechsheds.ie/produc...8d794018f7/765
    I’m looking at putting in one of these lifts. Maybe not straight away but I will install the cut outs in the floor regardless and fill with blanks if necessary. All depends on what budget is left after the house.

http://redmount.ie/in-floor-scissor-lift-flush

BMWHaus Guru
    If you need any insulation or even any help with technical details, build or even drawings let me know.