Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New garage - opinions needed

I built a block shed 5 years ago. I put a non drip roof on it. Shed cost 15k finished, double leaf wall and plastered on inside also. I got perfect 2nd hand windows and door. Roller door is the insulated type. First thing I would do if I was you is get rid of your designer. Have you any friend with knowledge or trade that could help? Direct Labor was the route I went

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Family have a nationwide car parts and garage equipment business. PM if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond Junior View Post
    Family have a nationwide car parts and garage equipment business. PM if you want.
    Do ye do roller doors? Will need a custom door made in the next few months. (About 14ft by 8ft)

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 535d View Post
    I built a block shed 5 years ago. I put a non drip roof on it. Shed cost 15k finished, double leaf wall and plastered on inside also. I got perfect 2nd hand windows and door. Roller door is the insulated type. First thing I would do if I was you is get rid of your designer. Have you any friend with knowledge or trade that could help? Direct Labor was the route I went

Thanks for the info. What size garage did you get for €15K?

My architect is actually very good. She won’t be designing the garage. That will be my role.

I’m starting to think 8m x 5m should do the job.

We’ve got a very good builder that we hope will be able to carry out the build and he’s into doing deals so I’m still hopeful i can get a block garage but it’s all budget dependant.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by RossYB View Post
    Do ye do roller doors? Will need a custom door made in the next few months. (About 14ft by 8ft)
    No we don't. I have heard of a crowd in Kanturk whom are meant to be good.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post

My architect is actually very good. She won’t be designing the garage. That will be my role.

We’ve got a very good builder that we hope will be able to carry out the build and he’s into doing deals so I’m still hopeful i can get a block garage but it’s all budget dependant.

I think that’s a good size and depending on where you put it it could possibly be turned into a granny flat / Office / stable at a later date if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post

Mine is 12m x 8m. I had a access to a digger, only had to pay for the diesel. Apart from that everything else was direct

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 535d View Post
    Mine is 12m x 8m. I had a access to a digger, only had to pay for the diesel. Apart from that everything else was direct

Thank. That is seriously good value

my Engineer hat is on now.....build it in block work, did mine a few years ago by direct labour, 300mm block work wall ( two 4" inch walls) with a 100mm cavity with you can fill with insulation beads after, stick a prefabricated truss ( dormer truss & you can use the storage space upstairs) on it & cover it with concrete tiles, 9m x 6m internally & napp render finish outside with two 2.7m metal roller doors & you'll get it up for 15 grand