Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 rear brake hoses help..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

E36 rear brake hoses help..

Hi lads, my 323i failed the NCT in February due to a broken bonnet lock (fixed), worn tyres and the rear brake hoses being corroded. The tester said it was the usual places where all those E36’s lines rust. I will upgrade to braided lines and be gettinga pro to do the job. I’ve been told it a bit of a bastard of a job however.. Does anybody know is it a tank out and subframe drop or can it be done a bit more handy?

Also if Ben O’ Brien sees this, can you PM me as I have heard good things and I am only in Limerick so wouldn’t mind getting you to have a look.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bond Junior View Post
    Also if Ben O’ Brien sees this, can you PM me as I have heard good things and I am only in Limerick so wouldn’t mind getting you to have a look.
    I used Ben for some initial work on my previous e36...

I’ve heard good things about alpinamotorworks.ie

BMWHaus Guru
    Alpina Motorworks are excellent

Have used them on several occasions when I lived in Limerick and can say they’re very decent to deal with and are always working on some tasty BMWs.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks lads. Do ye know how many hours labour this kind of job can take? Trying to throw a budget together between now and July to get her right for road and sadly the E36 is at the bottom of the financial priority list at the moment.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Thanks lads. Do ye know how many hours labour this kind of job can take? Trying to throw a budget together between now and July to get her right for road and sadly the E36 is at the bottom of the financial priority list at the moment.
    I’ve had a number of E36’s done in the past and never paid more than €120 total for the rear lines. This was done by a well known mechanic close to me who is a genius when it comes to bending brake lines to follow factory curves.

The braided flex lines will cost you a bit more but worth doing along with a fluid flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    €120? Wow, I was expecting a bill of multiples of that. I have looked at the braided lines and there are a plethora of options and I reckon they will ve a prudent move solely from a future proofing perspective.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I've done the rear lines myself three times on the E36s. It's the solid lines that rust, you can buy a set of replacements from the dealer for approx €70. There are four solid lines that split in front of the tank into two long lines, then to a flexible on each side, another short line and finally a flexible before the caliper. If bought from BMW they will be a steel line with fittings like the original and will be cut to length but not shaped.
    If you want to get braided lines you can but a direct replacement from Goodridge but these will only replace the flexible hoses.
    If you're doing it yourself you need to lower the tank but not drop it, remove rear section of the exhaust and slacken handbrake cables.
    A good mechanic would probably do it in three to four hours depending on how many rusted bolts he meets.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have Ben a ring this afternoon. What a nice guy first and foremost. He is very busy at the mpment and I am not in a rush so he is going to try and pencil me in at a time that suits us both. He really put me at ease about the job as I had heard a few horror stories from a few lads in FB E36 groups as to the complexity of the job at hand. Going to get the subframe bushes done too methinks, makes sense to do it too.

BMWHaus Guru
    I have Ben a ring this afternoon. What a nice guy first and foremost. He is very busy at the mpment and I am not in a rush so he is going to try and pencil me in at a time that suits us both. He really put me at ease about the job as I had heard a few horror stories from a few lads in FB E36 groups as to the complexity of the job at hand. Going to get the subframe bushes done too methinks, makes sense to do it too.
    At least it was only the horror stories about the complexity of the job

BMWHaus Contributor
    I had the steel lines over the tank done by a guy in Wexford. Bought OEM lines at the time so they worked perfectly! Don’t think it costs much from memory.

I have Black Diamond braided brake lines and They’re awesome ... €120 from memory for the set.

If you are doing all the brake lines, then do the clutch line at the same time. It works off the same system so if you get a braided clutch line it should improve your entire system. Doesn’t change the clutch much either makes it a bit sharper but nothing major!

Just make sure you buy decent glared spanners and some actual vice grips ... just in case you have issues with the union bolts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 BMW e36 316i touring - Another Project Car
    1994 BMW e36 318is - Project Car.
    2003 BMW E46 325ci - Sold.
    2000 Subaru Forester S Turbo - Sold
    1999 Subaru Forester Non Turbo - Sold