Thread: LOUD hissing sound from E60 Msport engine (Braided hose from engine to exhaust burnt)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LOUD hissing sound from E60 Msport engine (Braided hose from engine to exhaust burnt)

This ever happen to anyone?

Driving yesterday, Short distance and it suddenly sounded like someone unplugged a hose from a compressor.
    Had a look and there is (was) a small braided hose from the left side of the engine that was connected to a smaller stainless steel tube that branches off the exhaust.
    I pulled in and everything was very hot and smoke everywhere. I got in seconds after it happened and was only driving car park speed.
    I had been gettig a slight smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin for a few weeks and couldnt find what was causing it. Turns out this pipe may have been leaking and just gave up in the end.
    I know i havent explained it well but anyone know what it is? Whatever it is, it carries compressed air/fumes.

Car went down on power almost like vacuum lost as well which would make sense i suppose.

Thanks in advance!

BMWHaus Contributor
    What car have you got? 520d? Could it be the metal pipe from the egr cooler to the exhaust manifold? This split on my dad's car recently and had the exact same symptoms.

Like the one shown here: https://www.x8r.co.uk/over/bmwshaped...d-up-fault.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply. No not that pipe. I just got it back today so ill take a pic later abd post. Its a barrow braided hose abd it goes to a small steel pipe that branches from the exgaust pipe not the manifold.

Sorry 520d msport yea