Thread: cam sensor woes

BMWHaus Contributor

Lightbulb cam sensor woes

I plugged my car in got a p0369 code. I tested exhaust sensor it failed. I then ordered a febi one no change same fail code.
    I very kindly got a lend Of a good sensor (bmw part) to test in my own car which cleared the fault ,then took the car for a spin and got a new fault p0365. What's going on.
    This evening I removed and switched both vanos solenoids and tested them both ,working off a battery. Then put everything back together went for a spin and low and behold p0365 fault.
    Any ideas and suggestions where to go from here
    Thanks
    Mods feel free to delete other thread started new one as its starting to get a bit confusing

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: cam sensor woes

Could it be a cabling issue ? Any Dirt or shorts in the connector block or cabling to the block ?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: cam sensor woes

I can understand why you might change both sensors but only the exhaust one is failing and when I unplug the inlet I get a corresponding fault ,so on that basis I don't think it will help me.
    When I tested sensor with multimeter I got all correct voltages,that said.I used my own ground might check.plug ground this evening.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: cam sensor woes

Came a step closer to fixing this fault today. Pulled the two solenoids and pistons. Inlet side was clean and sliding freely. Outlet side (problem side) the piston was seized and full of crud and sludge. Cleaned it up and reinstalled. I don't expect to see results for a while if any given the length of time I have this issue and god only knows what else is seized but it's definitely a factor as it was stuck solid. It only took 40 mins using my homemade solenoid removal tool, looks ignorant but did the job perfect.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk