Was there last year for a few days with my own car and going back first week of August this year too as well as doing a trackday at Zandvoort and Spa along the way.

There's good choice in rentals and some don't work out too expensive at all with laps combined compared to bringing your own car. Think Racers Retreat which is also a nice place to stay have an an E36 318is and 325 that are fully track prepped that work out about 120 euro a lap for the first 5 laps but will do a deal for full day rentals. Given that it includes fuel, insurance and an instructor goes with you for the first lap, it's not bad. The excess if you crash is 1500 though but it covers everything from damage to the car to damage to the track and third parties as it's a german registered car and insured as one.

My M3 probably works out about 30-40 euro a lap with fuel and doesn't include insurance or cost of getting the car there of course
You can rent an E46 M3 from a few places but the price per day is about a grand I think plus fuel and laps and the excess is 20 grand if you have an off or damage the car!!!

Think I'll take my chances with my own lol

Here's a list of places you and rent a car however
http://nurburgring.org.uk/carhire.php

I didn't get insurance last time there and still not sure if will go for it this time. If you crash though and cause a serious accident, you'll be cleaned out especially if you spill fluid or cause a biker to come off so it's not really worth thinking about and just take all the precautions you can and don't lose the head and go mad there chasing btg times.

Think insurance is 250-600 a day and abit cheaper with consecutive days but I don't think it covers everything even at that and think some have upto 10000 euro excess and a maximum limit of 20 or 30 grand for costs. If you came off and damaged a decent section of tall armco, you could reach that limit very easily on track damages, recovery and track closure.

Then... as far as I know, third party damage costs aren't included in the polices so even though you might have the damages to your own car and the track covered initially, you could have costs of 100k to millions to deal with if you caused others to crash because of your mishap so it's hardly really worth it really I think as it'll still cost you an arm and a leg either way if you crash so might as well save the money and be very careful with the fact your not insured in mind

If you do have a crash, as per European insurance, your own insurance must stand over third party costs but unless your own insurance company doesn't exclude the 'Ring or doesn't find a way to back out of the claim for any reason such as you were speed testing, time trialing, mods to the car which were undeclared etc, etc, they'll want your house to recoup the costs.

It's mainly just the 'Ring itself that you'll want to spend all your time at but the Castle, Industrial park are wort a visit as well as the GP track especially if there's something on there. Have a look at the calendar too for TF and GP days as a lap ticket will do for 15 minutes of the GP track too if it's open. We were hoping to go a week it's open this year but didn't work out with times so maybe next year

You'll find most stuff covered here too
http://nurburgring.org.uk/index.html#.WxwbQogvxPY