Thread: M3 new shocks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

M3 new shocks?

Started up the M3 for the first time in a few months and took it out of the drive. Immediately noticed something off and though it was a flat front d/side tyre but that wasn’t it. It is sitting down quite a bit on that side though so I think maybe a shock issue? Gonna get it to Valdas for a diagnosis and repair before I put it back on the road but if it does need shocks I’d be keen to hear people’s opinions.

The Bilstein B6’s with OEM springs seem to be the way to go but I’d love to hear anyone’s opinions of them and any other option.
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

Currently looking into this myself as I found a snapped rear spring a few weeks ago. Think I'm going to go Koni yellows with H&R lowering springs. These seem to be a good combo for daily drivers. Currently only got a price for the springs which was €270.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Jack the rear of the car up and see if the spring is moving around freely. Usually it’s the spring that snaps, especially on the e46. Very easy job too as it is separate
    from the shock absorber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have bilstein shocks for over a year. I tried pretty much all combos with them. Eibach, Tein and H&R which I have atm.

Eibach will give you OEM height, maybe slightly higher and pretty much OEM feel.

Tein get you lowest ride height and unbearable drivability on Irish pot ridden roads. You ll start developing rattles everywhere. I swapped em out after 2 months.

H&R are the pretty nice comprise between the two.

I think at this stage I wish I would ve went for coilovers just because of the adjustment available. My car is lower on one side with shocks+ spring set up which is very annoying. I think this is how all M3s are. But Bilstein are top brand and they handle fairly well on track and for daily.

i have koni yellows adj,and H&R springs on m3,nice height, very similar to factory setup

Please tell me they are a little lower at 20mm and 30mm! They look a good height on all of my Google warrior pic hunts!. Any chance you could PM me where you got the Koni Yellows?
    Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    i have koni yellows adj,and H&R springs on m3,nice height, very similar to factory setup
    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

They went bankrupt,try larkspeed,or go m3 cutters,make sure your springs are for coupe, not soft top.

i have bilstien b6, and eibach springs on the car around 10k miles now, as smokymo said, pretty much oem feel, on mine the rear is slightly lower than id like.

i regret not just going for coilovers from the start, just for more height adjustment really, bc coilovers are very good, and not massive money, i will be going this route down the line.