Thread: E92/90 gear ratios/diffs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E92/90 gear ratios/diffs

Long shot I know but is anyone on here familiar with e92 or even e90 diff ratios?

Iv a manual 325i that I like but it is totally smothered by incredibly long gearing, Iv looked around a bit and can only find US-based info on ratios for the different models. If anyone could point me in the direction of a list of ratios for each model it'd be a massive help.

Also I think I'm right in saying only the M3 comes with an lsd and at that it's a funky electro-LSD. I thiiink this means my only real option is an aftermarket LSD, has anyone any experience woth any of these fitted to modern beemers?

Iv used every option under the sun on jap turbos but modern bmw diffs are new to me!

Thanks in advance.

BMWHaus Guru
    Contact these guys http://www.birdsauto.com/category/tags/bmw-lsd

Bought a Quaife lsd off them for my e92 335i and as far as I know they can help you out with a different ratio too. They’re not cheap but man are they good

BMWHaus Contributor
    Is this link any help?
    http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

I think the e9x m3s have the same lsd unit that's in the e46 m3. It's purely mechanical.

'What is the M Differential Lock and how does it work?
    The M Differential Lock, fitted as standard equipment to every E46 M3, is an advanced version of the traditional limited slip differnetial. Though still entirely mechanical in operation, the M Differential Lock is activated when there is a difference in rotational speed between the two rear wheels. This difference pressurizes a viscous silicon fluid, which then operates a multi-disc clutch that directs more power to the wheel with the greatest traction.'

BMWHaus Contributor
    Same LSD as e46 m3 and E60 M5.

But I don't know if it will fit. It might fit if you have the correct output shafts

Iv seen that bokchoys link but it's USDM cars only, and they don't have any of the baby engine beemers over there :L

Iv looked into the quaife diffs alright but I really want a plate diff rather than a torsion style as the quaife is, so far my best bet seems to be m3 which is doable just need some extra bits but my main concern with using one is the ratios, my little 325 is a bit shy of a V8 so I need to figure out my best bet ratio-wise and maybe pair a better ratio wheel and pinion with the M3 LSD.

It's a crime modernish Beemers mostly use open diffs!!