Thread: Tips/advice after new paint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Tips/advice after new paint

I'm hoping this proves useful for anyone who has just got some paint work done on their cars.
    What is the best course of action for ensuring that new paint cures correctly and to avoid any long lasting damage during the first few washes.

- Can you wash the car immediately after a respray? If so, are there any shampoos that should be avoided?
    - I assume you should not polish/wax/seal the panels for at least 6 weeks - is this true?
    - Any other tips? The last time I got some work done on my old 325Ci, I remember someone telling me to avoid long journeys at motorway speeds for the first few weeks as the paint is still quite soft - is this a myth?

Feel free to chime in!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    I'm hoping this proves useful for anyone who has just got some paint work done on their cars.
    What is the best course of action for ensuring that new paint cures correctly and to avoid any long lasting damage during the first few washes.

- Can you wash the car immediately after a respray? If so, are there any shampoos that should be avoided?
    - I assume you should not polish/wax/seal the panels for at least 6 weeks - is this true?
    - Any other tips? The last time I got some work done on my old 325Ci, I remember someone telling me to avoid long journeys at motorway speeds for the first few weeks as the paint is still quite soft - is this a myth?

Feel free to chime in!
    Dave Curran is probably the best one to jump in here but if I recall right I was told to not wash / wax the e46 for a month after painting it.
    Also, the paint will cure over time so it'll be softer now and will be more likely to pick up stone chips if you're up and down the motorway. After I got the e30 painted the car sat for a long time before it went back on the road and it was one of the paint has proven pretty resilient since then. If I was you I'd try to avoid motorways for a bit if possible for a few weeks. Once it's fully cured it'll be grand.

Administrator

Yes you can wash it immediately, so long as the shampoo has no wax / gloss additives that could prevent out gassing of the paintwork

It is OK to polish the paintwork, however the product left on the surface must be removed. So that means hand polishing is pointless. Machine polishing to perfect the paintwork is OK so long as its had the wipedown after.
    Waxing, sealing, or applying anything that can hinder out-gassing needs to be avoided for 30 days, unless your painter says otherwise and is willing to stand by that should any pop outs occur due to out-gassing... which results in paintwork looking like this...