Thread: Info on this F31:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Info on this F31:

Hi Folks,

Brother in law is looking at buying a new car, either an a4 avant or 3 series touring. Anyone have any info on the car below?

http://www.deniscullinane.com/viewan...37&r=%26z%3D-8

Some nice ones in the UK also so might venture across the pond.

Thanks,
    James

BMWHaus Guru
    I've been vaguely watching the same models as a potential replacement for Mrs D's touring. If the budget can stretch a little further and he's willing to consider petrol (not necessarily a bad thing to do since its likely that the cost effectiveness of diesels will change in the next few years as fuel duty, road tax and VRT policy evolves against them) then it could be worth taking look at 2016 A4 1.4 TFSI Sport Avant's in the UK. These are the latest model and with a relatively modest mileage they should be landed for ~€22k. It would avoid the risk of timing chain issues with an F31 of the age of your example and CO2 still leaves it in the €280 road tax category.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=60000&page=1
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    A 330d will just a shade more than a 320d but so much more of a car

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    I've been vaguely watching the same models as a potential replacement for Mrs D's touring. If the budget can stretch a little further and he's willing to consider petrol (not necessarily a bad thing to do since its likely that the cost effectiveness of diesels will change in the next few years as fuel duty, road tax and VRT policy evolves against them) then it could be worth taking look at 2016 A4 1.4 TFSI Sport Avant's in the UK. These are the latest model and with a relatively modest mileage they should be landed for ~€22k. It would avoid the risk of timing chain issues with an F31 of the age of your example and CO2 still leaves it in the €280 road tax category.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=60000&page=1
    Yeah Petrol would not be an issue either but hard look at Audi's unless its an sline or black edition, if its bmw has to be msport and audi would have to be sline. I had an f10 with 70k miles and the chain would be the only conern alrite. But the f31 is a nice looking touring.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    A 330d will just a shade more than a 320d but so much more of a car
    Agreed but very few in Ireland and there is a nice diff when it comes time to pay VRT. 20k max is the budget.

BMWHaus Contributor
    The Brother in Law bought the car and I must say its a nice looking touring, we gave it a good wash Friday evening. (We have our own well)

The car has some nice bits like electric bootlid, detachable towbar etc. We changed the grills as the original ones had gone a bit scummy and faded. The alloys are screaming out for a refurb.

One thing which I haven't seen before is while the car has nav & bluetooth, you can't use your phone to play audio which seems strange? I could in my old F10 so do people know if this is a simple coding fix? Thanks in advance.

image1.jpeg

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by james forde View Post
    ...The alloys are screaming out for a refurb.

One thing which I haven't seen before is while the car has nav & bluetooth, you can't use your phone to play audio which seems strange? I could in my old F10 so do people know if this is a simple coding fix? Thanks in advance.

image1.jpeg
    Dineens have the machine for Diamond cutting wheels now.

EDIT: it looks like you don’t need Diamond cutting, carfit.ie do the wheel refurbs in Cork, they do a decent enough job from what I’ve seen.

With regard to Bluetooth Audio streaming, yes a coding change will enable it.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    Dineens have the machine for Diamond cutting wheels now.

EDIT: it looks like you don’t need Diamond cutting, carfit.ie do the wheel refurbs in Cork, they do a decent enough job from what I’ve seen.

With regard to Bluetooth Audio streaming, yes a coding change will enable it.
    Cool will look into the coding so and try get it activated, thanks.

I've used carfit myself a few times and agreed, they do a decent job.
    Last edited by james forde; 23-07-18 at 09:56.