Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know this E70

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone know this E70

Few months back I was hunting an M5 or M6 - couldn't find anything that matched condition and budget and eventually decided as amazing as these cars are what I'd have to budget for a good one wasn't worth the smiles. In the end I decided to keep the Cooper S and hunt down something as a daily driver. The search took me through a few iterations eventually ending with the E70 as I've grown to the idea of having a big daily with an extra row of seats.
    I'm aware running costs can be high but annual mileage is small (circa 5k - 8k miles a year) so I'm not bothered too concerned but obviously would like to at least start with a good example. Am debating pre/post-LCI but came across this car:https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...eater/19099295 - ticks a lot of the boxes for me - dynamic pack so has msport suspension, wheel arches, etc - I can live without msport bumpers. Also like the tan leather and the running boards would be useful for the kids. Looks like it's currently maintained by the owner so wanted to check if anyone knew the car?

All feedback appreciated - thanks.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by soc View Post
    Few months back I was hunting an M5 or M6 - couldn't find anything that matched condition and budget and eventually decided as amazing as these cars are what I'd have to budget for a good one wasn't worth the smiles. In the end I decided to keep the Cooper S and hunt down something as a daily driver. The search took me through a few iterations eventually ending with the E70 as I've grown to the idea of having a big daily with an extra row of seats.
    I'm aware running costs can be high but annual mileage is small (circa 5k - 8k miles a year) so I'm not bothered too concerned but obviously would like to at least start with a good example. Am debating pre/post-LCI but came across this car:https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...eater/19099295 - ticks a lot of the boxes for me - dynamic pack so has msport suspension, wheel arches, etc - I can live without msport bumpers. Also like the tan leather and the running boards would be useful for the kids. Looks like it's currently maintained by the owner so wanted to check if anyone knew the car?

All feedback appreciated - thanks.
    Based on my previous experience (and a few others) I wouldn’t buy a pre LCI E70. I sold mine after 6 months and kept the e53 for a few years more instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Based on my previous experience (and a few others) I wouldn’t buy a pre LCI E70. I sold mine after 6 months and kept the e53 for a few years more instead.
    Thanks John - any particular reason? I like the looks and quite liked the drive and they are also quite imposing which is (in a slightly juvenile way) nice - does the quality differ significantly between to the LCI model (I've read the 8 speed is a lot better)

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks John - any particular reason? I like the looks and quite liked the drive and they are also quite imposing which is (in a slightly juvenile way) nice - does the quality differ significantly between to the LCI model (I've read the 8 speed is a lot better)
    Yeah, it was just quality. My car was almost the same as that one and I added aero bumper trims. It looked great but flimsy trim bits fell off too often for my liking on a 25k mile car

Yeah, it was just quality. My car was almost the same as that one and I added aero bumper trims. It looked great but flimsy trim bits fell off too often for my liking on a 25k mile car
    Thanks John - appreciate the feedback.

BMWHaus Guru
    I sold mine after 6 months and kept the e53 for a few years more instead.
    @OP - Seeing as your doing pretty nominal mileage, why not hold out for an end of line E53 4.8is - fantastic car
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    @OP - Seeing as your doing pretty nominal mileage, why not hold out for an end of line E53 4.8is - fantastic car
    I considered it - rare enough - only one on donedeal which I thought about going to view but ruled it out as I was really looking for an E70 and I'm also sold on the idea of 7 seats with the kids getting a little older.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...rcial/19172056
    Last edited by soc; 02-08-18 at 12:06.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I considered it - rare enough - only one on donedeal which I thought about going to view but ruled it out as I was really looking for an E70 and I'm also sold on the idea of 7 seats with the kids getting a little older.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...rcial/19172056
    There was a e70.4.8is on donedeal for quite a while? Best of both worlds if it is a decent car!

Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    There was a e70.4.8is on donedeal for quite a while? Best of both worlds if it is a decent car!
    Two in fact - one with Lambe & O'Connor - I like the spec but the mileage is a tad high and the wheels are horrible. Think it was in around 11.5k but price removed now. The other is the '08 CN reg - doesn't look like much effort in the add which I always find annoying - I'm assuming it's an SE (no arch extensions) and the wheels would have to go on this one too.

I had a pretty lci for 2 years... Had no issue trim etc...

Although they are heavy and go through mechanical stuff quickly enough...

They are fond of tyres and brakes - and pretty much all suspension components.

No way would I own one without an extended warranty (about 150 a month).... I have a lci 40d now but was happy enough with the pre lci one too...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk