Thread: Am I mad to buy a cheap e53 x5?

Am I mad to buy a cheap e53 x5?

Sooo I need to buy a jeep I can tow a track car with but can't justify running two cars anymore so i want to get something with a bit of comfort so I can use it as my daily as well. Only plan on spending 3-5k and iv seen plenty of x5s within that budget.

My question is just how heartbreaking is it gonna be to keep one on the road? I'm aiming for as low a mileage as possible but obviously turbos/injectors/dpf is the main concern with pretty much any diesel, is there any specific things to be aware of with these? I've seen diffs and rear air bags mentioned a few times on owners sites and probably my biggest fear is the auto box as I had one let go on an e60 before.

How reliable do owners find them? And are they capable enough to tow 1-1.5t?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jordan - I picked up a 2005 3.0d sport 4months ago - 2 owner with 110k miles for under €5k - I'm doing 450miles a week in it since I got it and touch wood it's been 100% fine.
    I don't think mine had ever been worked hard but i know it had a new turbo 3yrs ago - gearbox is a concern in them but mine seems fine and I don't hammer it around too much - I'm seeing 30mpg on my 80mile commute which has some stop start sections (Limerick-cork road).
    I'm enjoying it, drives well, had a couple of e39s before and it feels just like them. Towing a ton shouldn't be an issue. They're heavy on tyres (around 150ea front 180ea on rear) and suspension components and parts are pricey for good quality items.

BMWHaus Guru

Am I mad to buy a cheap e53 x5?

Why not just get the V8? They're practically the same running costs aren't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Why not just get the V8? They're practically the same running costs aren't they?

Jesus i had a 4.4i x5 before lovely jeep lovely noise, but the mpg was shocking and i think my 3.0d one feels faster!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    Jesus i had a 4.4i x5 before lovely jeep lovely noise, but the mpg was shocking and i think my 3.0d one feels faster!
    It was a joke from the E63 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I'm looking for a workhorse, that poster was looking for a fun car.

And more to the point v8 X5s cost twice what the diesels cost, trust me I'd buy a v8 tomorrow if I could get one for under 5k

The v8 645s are the cheapest of the 6 series to buy and ate comparable to the 630is, I never compared them to any diesels

@Lights thanks for the response, that's better mpg than I get in my e92 325!! To be fair I'm used to paying for tyres and suspension parts are pricey for most modern Beemers it's really the engine & box I'm concerned about throwing up massive bills on cheap examples.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanCoupe View Post
    I'm looking for a workhorse, that poster was looking for a fun car.

And more to the point v8 X5s cost twice what the diesels cost, trust me I'd buy a v8 tomorrow if I could get one for under 5k

The v8 645s are the cheapest of the 6 series to buy and ate comparable to the 630is, I never compared them to any diesels

@Lights thanks for the response, that's better mpg than I get in my e92 325!! To be fair I'm used to paying for tyres and suspension parts are pricey for most modern Beemers it's really the engine & box I'm concerned about throwing up massive bills on cheap examples.
    I know, I was just being a wise ass.

Fair enough, iv just started a month of night shifts so I may be a tad short fused this evening

BMWHaus Contributor
    I picked up a 2005 3.0i with 200k+ kms on it. Its a bit rough, the sunroof doesnt work and its got some body damage but it drove very well for the three months I had it on the road. I am bringing it back on this week after 3 months off so I will let you know how it weathered the lay-up.

The mpg is similar to the M3, 20mpg around town, so probably not suitable for towing but as far as I am concerned diesel is for tractors.

D
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport