Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motor Tax Changes

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RossYB View Post
    You can't reclaim VAT on passenger transport so it's not that easy. (I drive a bus but maybe taxis are different?)
    We're are talking about a charge which doesn't exist, not VAT The point is that they could very easily reimburse haulage companies, taxi drivers etc if they need to - mandatory use of fuel cards, mileage logging like NZ etc.

Its not going to happen anyway - no government will introduce it imo as it will be seen to be 'anti-country' and pro-Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    We're are talking about a charge which doesn't exist, not VAT The point is that they could very easily reimburse haulage companies, taxi drivers etc if they need to - mandatory use of fuel cards, mileage logging like NZ etc.

Its not going to happen anyway - no government will introduce it imo as it will be seen to be 'anti-country' and pro-Dublin.
    Which of course it would be. All this talk about leaving the car at home and using the bus/Luas/Dart makes me laugh. Here in rural Donegal the car is the only means of transport available. There is no choice. The green brigade with their so-called 'carbon-tax' say that putting up the cost of fuel will encourage people to ditch the car. How can you when there is no alternative? People need to cop on and realise that Dublin isn't the entire country.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmaidom View Post
    Which of course it would be. All this talk about leaving the car at home and using the bus/Luas/Dart makes me laugh. Here in rural Donegal the car is the only means of transport available. There is no choice. The green brigade with their so-called 'carbon-tax' say that putting up the cost of fuel will encourage people to ditch the car. How can you when there is no alternative? People need to cop on and realise that Dublin isn't the entire country.
    You have an alternative to buy a more economical car and minimize what you have to pay in emissions based taxation, no?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    You have an alternative to buy a more economical car and minimize what you have to pay in emissions based taxation, no?
    I live out in the boonies myself and do about 30k km a year, I still think tax on fuel makes the most sense!

Its the fairest way, and if you want to put an "environmental" spin on it, it applies too.

All businesses etc could claim it back if required as previously mentioned, I think its madness we don't do it this way!
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

Considering I've never taxed my M3 and it's cheaper to get stopped add pay the fine evnn if caught twice a month, I'd be worse off paying tax on fuel as I've nothing boring (I mean efficient enough to do better than 30mpg) such as the Defender I use e every day, X5, M3 and have a Golf GTI for my othwet half.

Some sort of change has to be made alright however to make it too tempting to dodge tax on cars that are only occasionally driven like I do with the M3 and also to get rid of all the hassle of changing ownership on cars all the time or even just having to declare them off the road constantly.