Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abs and drive shafts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Abs and drive shafts

My e90, 08 320d 138k miles, has started to have an intermittent fault. With cruise control active at motorway speed a warning flashes on the dash, triangle in a circle, and it feels like someone hits the brakes or the engine cuts for an instant. Little disconcerting especially if your overtaking at the time. First time it happened for about a second and then power was restored and continued as normal. Happened again at the weekend but this time it continued for about 5min and car decelerated down the about 50kmph. The only thing in common with both occurrences was cruise was active. Has not happened when driving without cruise active.

The previous owner mentioned he had an abs warning light and had an abs sensor shimmed out with a washer to cure it. I didn’t understand at the time but I think now it may have been because of a corroded abs ring.

So just wanted to know if a corroded abs ring would cause these issues and would Meyle brand half shafts be good quality replacements as I’ll assume the abs rings are fubar at this stage. Also anyone around here supply these?

Administrator
    Having similar issue with an E46 320Cd, though it only happens me at slower speeds, usually taking off and turning. I searched about and guessing it's the same as you have concluded; the Reluctor Ring that the speed sensors uses to assess rotation speed of each wheel. I haven't inspected to see its condition or if a spacer is in place or not.
    Replacing the half shafts seems a much easier approach given replacing the Reluctor Ring isn't guaranteed to work if heavily corroded, and they are only a few quid extra.

I'm only glad the previous owner told me about the shimmed abs sensor or I'd probably be tearing the car apart trying to find the cause. My scanner can't read abs codes so I'm hoping to get it to a mech at the weekend to be scanned.
    Definitely something I want sorted asap though.

this video seems to be exactly whats happening with my car
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSmC2Vchw7s

Have had similar happen to my e90 a couple of months back, usually on a right hand bend losing power, sometimes a flashing dtc light (but not always).
    I picked up a few new reluctor rings and abs sensors but then found out that they can be very awkward to fit, especially with the corrosion under the old rings, via YouTube.
    I removed the old sensors and replaced the old thin shims (washers) with slightly thicker shims after checking the ends of the sensors for damage,(there was none) and so far so good.
    I am well aware that the job still has to be done properly but I can now take my time and plan when I can do it at my leisure.
    Not looking forward to it tho.

Edit;
    https://autocentre-dublin.business.site/
    This is where I got mine, as they were close to me and in stock.
    Can’t remember the price off hand, and not too sure of the quality as they still have to be fitted.
    Last edited by M7roadrunner; 16-09-18 at 23:22.

Cheers M7. I initially thought I'd change just the abs rings but looking at a few YouTube vids and the possible corrosion I think I'll swap out the drive shafts with new meyle ones and new sensors depending on condition. Drive shafts aren't too pricey and it should be a job for the life of the car.

Looks like right rear abs ring had swelled and abs sensor is making contact. Tried to shim it out with a washer but couldn't get the gap right so it looks like new sensor and drive shaft. Going to pick up the meyle shafts, left and right, hopefully should sort the issue for the life the car. Also spotted a leaky front shock while it was on the ramp so will sort that at the same time.

How much are you getting the shafts for if you don’t mind me asking?

195e for the pair.

Where did you get the shafts from and would you recommend the meyle one's
    I started having the same problems and fixed it with a washer for now but want to get it fixed properly