Thread: 1975 BMW 2002 Braking Issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Site Sponsor

1975 BMW 2002 Braking Issue

I thought I'd throw a post up here as I know a few members have owned these in the past (Ahem ANDY).

I'm having an issue troubleshooting a braking problem where the car pulls to the right-hand side under braking.

Originally when the car was purchased there was literally no assisted braking at all and the car pulled to the right.
    On investigation I found a vacuum leak going from the inlet manifold to the 2 remote mounted brake servos after the one-way valve.
    I sorted this out and hey-presto the servos worked again.

Took it for a spin and it was still pulling to the right only harder now as the servos were obviously adding some much needed braking force.
    The next step was to inspect all 4 corners. Everything looked good and all components (whilst they are tired looking) were in good serviceable condition.

Next step today was to bleed the entire system. There was air in the lines which was expected but after a full fluid flush it's still pulling to the right.

I'm trying to figure out if this could be a master cylinder issue or (from what I've read) a pressure differential issue.

I have a Haynes Manual but it doesn't detail the working of the braking system very well.
    I'd like to understand how the pressure from the 2 servos is applied. I believe it is equal pressure front and rear (not left and right).

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ecooney; 04-10-18 at 14:36.