Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanic with coding tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mechanic with coding tool

My brother has an 08 320d e90 and recently he says the service logo comes up every now and again (and the clock settings get reset each day) which probably means battery is gone or maybe something else?
    He called BMW to ask how much to replace it and they said 350-500, so after he stopped laughing he asked me if I know someone who can get it done. Replacing the battery no problem for me but I do remember these things need to be coded or error pop up etc.
    Anyone here that can do it? Don't suppose it works with one of those obd bluetooth things and an app on your phone?

BMWHaus Guru
    The Carly app has the battery registration and update functionality and a few people on here should be able to do this

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    The Carly app has the battery registration and update functionality and a few people on here should be able to do this
    Thanks, any idea where I can get a new battery also? I'm assuming the halfords one aren't good quality or maybe they don't work on BMWs?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
    Thanks, any idea where I can get a new battery also? I'm assuming the halfords one aren't good quality or maybe they don't work on BMWs?
    I just bought a battery for my '06 E60 in Halfords last week - not a Halfords branded one (Yuasa). Not sure if they sell the AGM batteries for cars that have stop/start function

It's not stop/start so that's good I know those are around 250 or more.
    The car went in for 2 recalls today and they charged the battery too, will see how that goes but not being driven daily doesn't help either.

My understanding is that the battery only needs to be coded on the E9x if the car is fitted with the idrive system which comes with Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS). Idrive would have been an optional extra on the E9x.

Ah ok I was not aware, it doesn't have idrive, just pro radio I believe so maybe not needed then.

You could check the battery terminals, I think if it has IBS then it's a cable that runs off the battery's neutral terminal.

Looks like the car has an AGM battery. Factory one. Which makes no sense since the car is not start/stop. And this needs to be coded apparently. Where's a good place to buy agm battery in Dublin except dealers of course

BMWHaus Guru

Mechanic with coding tool

Quote Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
    Looks like the car has an AGM battery. Factory one. Which makes no sense since the car is not start/stop. And this needs to be coded apparently. Where's a good place to buy agm battery in Dublin except dealers of course
    If it’s not Stop/Start then you should just get a normal battery and code it.

Edit: apparently AGM batteries were also fitted to cars without stop/start function too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 318 iS Cosmos; 03-01-19 at 11:11.