Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: e46 or e92 M3

BMWHaus Guru

e46 or e92 M3

Hello

I am in the market for an M3, but haven't quite decided on the generation yet (hence the 2-in-1 wanted ad).

I am looking for either an:

1. e46 (>2004 coupe with a manual gearbox); or
    2. e92 (more relaxed about the year and transmission type).

If you're selling either of these, give me a shout.

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    Hello

I am in the market for an M3, but haven't quite decided on the generation yet (hence the 2-in-1 wanted ad).

I am looking for either an:

1. e46 (>2004 coupe with a manual gearbox); or
    2. e92 (more relaxed about the year and transmission type).

If you're selling either of these, give me a shout.

Thanks
    Good luck. There's nothing decent for sale here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Guru
    Hence my other post today about VRT!

There’s certainly very little for sale from what I can see from the likes of Carzone and DoneDeal, but I thought it no harm to ask on an enthusiast forum to see if anything was going.

BMWHaus Guru
    Very little for sale at the moment over here. There is a lovely e46 on this site but it is SMG. I think you need to really think about buying on condition alone and not be constrained by year as you won't find a lot of E46 '04

BMWHaus Contributor
    Buy an smg e46 if you want to get a decent car without paying 15k+ . Ive had loads of both an id buy another smg in the morning. Chillipeppers car is a cracker for sale on here

BMWHaus Guru
    Be sure to drive an SMG before you do it, I quite like them but they are very dim witted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    Buy an smg e46 if you want to get a decent car without paying 15k+ . Ive had loads of both an id buy another smg in the morning. Chillipeppers car is a cracker for sale on here
    As mentioned have a look at Chillipeppers car. Excellent example.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for the responses. I've looked at Chillipeppers ad and agree it looks to be a beautiful car, my only apprehension really is SMG. That said I've never actually driven an SMG, so I'm only going on the prevailing view which seems to be quite negative. But I should probably try to drive one before ruling it out altogether.

In terms of cost, I'm happy to pay >15k for the spec and model I'm looking for, and actually if I am importing from the UK I'm expecting closer to 18k-20k when you factor in VRT. My dilemma is whether to do that or go for an e92, because at the spec and model of e46 I'm looking at you're not a million miles from the cost of a pre-LCI e92.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have driven both extensively and have to say the e92 is a fantastic car. It is superior to the e46 in every measurable way and makes a truly amazing sound. The e92 is good value at the moment too. Only thing with them is they use fuel like there is a hole in the tank. E46 is a much slower car, more low tech..but its more collectable at the moment, is a total icon and IMHO has a great look.

Both are fine cars but it depends on what you want to do with it. The whole SMG thing is a red herring. Everyone goes on about a manual basically because Chris Harris has told us its more involving but the SMG is easier to live with and faster on track or when really pushing on. The are not that unreliable and hell a SMG is easy to convert to a manual if you want ,it has everything already just a pump and computer attached to the gearbox. I actually like the feel of SMG2 its savage, but no doubt the manuals are more in demand.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Both are fine cars but it depends on what you want to do with it
    First and foremost it will be my daily driver. So fuel economy is pretty much the only thing that's putting me off the e92. I don't do huge mileage, maybe 15-20km per day for my daily commute, but it's mostly "urban". I've heard and read mixed views on this - some people say the fuel economy is catastrophic, others say it's not that as bad as expected (but I suppose that's relative and depends on your starting point).

I've also heard some people say the e92 isn't that much worse on fuel than the e46 - not sure if there's much truth to that?
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 09-11-18 at 17:55.