Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: e46 or e92 M3

BMWHaus Contributor
    Fuel on a urban run will be low teens. 20km a day is nothing...My opinion the e92 for a commute...make sure it has the upgraded stereo and get a smg its awesome in the e92.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Fuel on a urban run will be low teens. 20km a day is nothing...My opinion the e92 for a commute...make sure it has the upgraded stereo and get a smg its awesome in the e92.
    It's DCT in the E92. Even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Contributor
    Dave....thanks for highlighting my shame, I am off to say 20 bavarian hail marys for a schoolboy error....

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Dave....thanks for highlighting my shame, I am off to say 20 bavarian hail marys for a schoolboy error....
    Lol, sorry man, I hate being that prick

BMWHaus Guru
    I’ll start this by saying I sold a manual e92 m3 which I’d only kept for 6 months and bought a manual e46 m3 which I’ve had for three and a half years and have no plans to sell.

I mainly use both for commuting from the burbs into the city centre and early morning runs to the airport. Fuel economy in the e92 was about 16mpg - 18mpg whereas the e46 is 19mpg-21mpg. Given the low mileage I do the absolute wasn’t much different but it felt like I was always in the petrol station in the e92.

I sold the e92 for 2 reasons. Mine was 5 years old and had a cosseted life but lots of stuff kept going on it: Abs unit, interior switch gear, creaky seats which irritated me. It was all covered by the extended warranty but I got sick of going to Murphy & Gunn with it. The second reason was I don’t think it suited rush hour city centre traffic. On the motorway it was a monster, the natural cruising speed for the car was 180 Kmh but around town in stop start traffic there was an initial inertia to over come from a standing start if you couldn’t plant the accelerator and rev it. This became very frustrating and ultimately was why I sold it. I did wish I had tried a DCT version but never got the chance.

By contrast the e46 feels nippy and responsive. It is slower the the e92, on a motorway it’s happiest about 150kmh if you’ll let it go there. Around town it’s light enough to be responsive and can squeeze through gaps that appear in traffic. Writing this now makes me want to take it out of storage and tax it for a few months.

Just my 2p as in reality both are great.

I have had 3 of each, all manual. For a daily it has to be an e92. If I buy another it will be DCT though. The e46 is probably a better weekend car, it can be enjoyed at lower speeds. I found that the e92 only starts getting going at about 80mph. The e46 would be cheaper to maintain and run by a long way as well.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for all the responses, really interesting to hear real world experiences.

I am definitely leaning towards the e92, but really the only thing putting me off is fuel economy, even though I won't be doing massive mileage. But I don't want to get too hung up on it either. As a comparison at the moment I'm driving around in a Mk4 Golf GTI and most of the time it struggles to get over 20mpg (probably due to it being riddled with engine problems), and with a significantly smaller fuel tank than the e92. My point is I don't find this to be particularly bad, so while an M3 will obviously be worse I am not sure if it would be so much worse as to justify not getting one. The problem I suppose is you just don't really know until you've lived with the car.

For a while I was even toying with the idea of an M6, but that's probably pushing it...
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 12-11-18 at 10:46.

BMWHaus Contributor
    there is a m6 grand coupe on backroads for sale section at the moment, that is quite possible one of the nicest I have ever seen.

BMWHaus Guru
    I meant the V10!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    I meant the V10!
    Read rebel.ranters ownership thread, they're a car that require deep pockets.