Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: e46 or e92 M3

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Read rebel.ranters ownership thread, they're a car that require deep pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Amen Dave.....I can attest first hand that they are a car with some expensive issues. But they do have their rewards. I was amazed at the runway club event how fast they are when you get to give them full bore.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Ah yeah I'm not really considering one to be honest, perhaps one day but as a daily driver they do seem highly inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Read rebel.ranters ownership thread, they're a car that require deep pockets.

Got a link? I've searched for it but can't seem to find it

E92 for me - the V8 is just amazing , I doubt I'll have another engine like it. The fuel economy is negligible for that mileage imo ~18mpg vs 20
    cost wise it's on par with the e46 for me

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    E92 for me - the V8 is just amazing , I doubt I'll have another engine like it. The fuel economy is negligible for that mileage imo ~18mpg vs 20
    cost wise it's on par with the e46 for me
    Music to my ears...

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    Ah yeah I'm not really considering one to be honest, perhaps one day but as a daily driver they do seem highly inappropriate.
    Got a link? I've searched for it but can't seem to find it
    There is no thread for my M6, I never did one for it for some reason, in fact I haven't really kept a thread going on any of the cars for ages. A lot of what is said here resonates with me. The low teens MPG, I'm about 15-16 mpg combined, and yep I've seen 7 mpg during Christmas time rush hour traffic. I've also seen 7 mpg on the runway!

Also feel the same about the car (M6, similar traits to the e92 M3) only getting going at 80mph, you need to be up near 140mph before it starts feeling any bit challenging...a problem on public roads!!!! I have much mor efin in the Mini Cooper S. The M6 is a handful, 507bhp is almost too much in a rear wheel drive, only on a dry day can you properly get the power down, I took off on Sunday not too hard and I ended up sideways leaving a set of traffic lights in the wet....and I'm driving it 4 years, it still catches me out!

As John mentioned the e92 M3 & e63v M6 are almost too aggressive for commuting in traffic, they are designed to go fast and seem uncomfortable in traffic. I remember 4-5 years ago driving JohnH's e92 M3 with the DSC unit being faulty, I was in stop-start traffic, was looking out the window at something, noticed that traffic had moved on and I panicked a tad and decided to close up the accidental gap, I ended up nearly side ways briefly!

Moe mentioned SMG III, thank feck someone had the balls to say it!!! SMG III is raw and clunky and mechanical......that makes it better than an auto or DCT in my book. It feels like something that needs taming, yeah all the motoring journos made light of it, they also made light of iDrive at the time yet now, every manufacturer has a version of iDrive. It's a great feeling shifting in the SMG III, you feel like you are banging through the gears not piloting a Playstation game.

Yep, the v10 is still quick, it's a big old car but it managed (just about) to stay ahead of the current M3/M4 which is savage considering the leaps in technology. But then again I've seen my fair share of woes (JohnH only had a taster), the good days make up for the bad ones though.

I'll hang on to mine for another while, I've still got warranty, goodwill, and some sort of angel looking over it. Sometimes I say the thing is made of chocolate it melts down that often, but chocolate also tastes good......

BMWHaus Contributor
    Rebel I totally agree. When a new M car come out they always find fault. The e46 was not torquey enough, the e92 was thirsty, the f8x didnt sound great. They are not controllable, then when they put auto's and 4wd in them they are too tame and not like M cars.

Frankly after the e46 these cars all had too much power. The F8x M was classic they had to alter the torque curve in 1st and 2nd because daft dentists were spinning them all over the place and complaining to BMW.

Power is easy to make, but making a car safe while leaving that fear (fun) in it is hard. I like savage shifts, I like a giddy rear end, I like drive train noise and diff noise. Powerful 4wd audis do nothing for me, they are too easy, too sterile. M cars should feel angry and alive.

When we are all sitting in electric cars riding torque from 0-60 in 3 seconds we will look back on the golden era of M cars fondly.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Ive always felt that the e46 m3 has the perfect balance of power and grip, you can really hammer them with confidence you wont have a big off, and even if they get abit loose they are easy manage.
    I was caught with my pants down once or twice in the v10, even with the best of tyres, they are a serious handful on throttle. As moe said it will give me fond memories in years to come. I drove an i8 there last week and made me realise that the future is fairly bleek. Noise from a speaker is the beginning of the end.

If i was you id be looking for a well sorted e46 m3, with floor done head gasket/rod brearings. And enjoy it. I dont think an e92 would be as rewarding everyday as the e46

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

"...I like savage shifts, I like a giddy rear end, I like drive train noise and diff noise. Powerful 4wd audis do nothing for me, they are too easy, too sterile. M cars should feel angry and alive..."
    Was expressing my agreement with this when I went into a massive tangent about how great early super cars would've been with ~500bhp and no safety features to speak of (when an average saloon had probably 80...)

It's not a death wish or anything, but you would respect the car and whoever drove it more if it required actual skills to drive!

BMWHaus Guru
    I'm glad this thread has generated such discussion!

Thanks so much for the replies, the opinions are all very helpful.

rebel.ranter - Do you use the M6 as your daily driver and if so how long is your commute?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    I'm glad this thread has generated such discussion!

Thanks so much for the replies, the opinions are all very helpful.

rebel.ranter - Do you use the M6 as your daily driver and if so how long is your commute?
    Funnily enough, I'm in a not too dissimilar boat as yourself at the moment. So I'll share my feedback, ignore it if you like.

I had an E39 M5 which I recently sold after 3.5 years of ownership.

I've been deliberating all kinds off options and have driven the following cars. E46 M3, 997 C2S, M135i, M140i, M2, Audi B7 RS4, C5 RS6, manual E92 M3, DCT E92 M3 and Rebel.Ranter was kind enough to let me take his M6 for a drive.

This is my opinion of each car.

E46 M3 - gorgeous, but arguably slow, if you buy a tidy one, they're now almost too valuable to plough mileage onto.

997 C2S - Not convinced on the engine, the M5 was more of occasion, handling wise the steering feel was stellar, they do feel a bit cheap inside though. Too expensive

M135i - so much bang for your buck, feels very very small compared to the others, it took it for a reasonably spirited drive and the chassis doesn't feel as competent as the drive train - good value proposition and I think ownership would be reasonable.

m140i - awesome engine, more refined and feels more planted, feels a good bit more powerful than the M135i. Both the M140i and the M135i feel more like very capable hot hatches than anything special.

B7 RS4 - planted, steering slightly corrupted under power, great handling. Probably a bit over priced for what they are, thirsty and can get spendy.

C5 RS6 - cool as fuck, very quick, crap gearbox, I'd be tempted but want a car that's made for the twisties.

E92 M3 - best looking car of the lot, feels very special, the DCT has a sense of occasion about it and provides another layer of personality that suits the engine very well, but as rebel.ranter says, it's almost too capable, the gear shifts are perfect. The manual car feels more old school, great steering feel. Really liked it but the DCT would be my pic.

I think they are in a funny place in the market, they've been a 25 - 30k car now for 6-8 years. I was looking at sub 50k mile cars with DCT, EDC, extended red leather and logic 7.
    I think their values are going to take a serious hit over the coming months with M2 / M4 and F80 M3 prices plummeting.

After all of them, I drove the M6 and it is, hands down the most special car I've driven, the sense of occasion of the thing is on another level and I would love one but the ownership costs terrify me.

Last edited by Dave; 13-11-18 at 17:22.