Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 Facelift Xenon Headlights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E39 Facelift Xenon Headlights

I swore I’d leave the e39 as is as it’s supposed to be the family car and not a project... but can’t help but wonder if there’s a good pair to be gotten out there... not looking to spend huge money but if there’s a reasonably priced pair I’ll have it. I’m aware I’ll need a levelling sensor and arm, and a blanking plate for the dash. Anything else? I have the intensive headlight washer system already.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    I swore I’d leave the e39 as is as it’s supposed to be the family car and not a project... but can’t help but wonder if there’s a good pair to be gotten out there... not looking to spend huge money but if there’s a reasonably priced pair I’ll have it. I’m aware I’ll need a levelling sensor and arm, and a blanking plate for the dash. Anything else? I have the intensive headlight washer system already.
    At this stage you're better off buying the lamps new. Everything you look at is gonna be in rough order.

Alternatively, new standard lamps are not too expensive, and with decent bulbs throw out very good light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Guru
    The ones on the car are in great condition actually, I just fancy xenons. Although after spending 100 euro on a xenon bulb and ~ 150 for the levelling sensor on the Z4 - I should be grateful they're halogen

BMWHaus Guru

The ones on the car are in great condition actually, I just fancy xenons. Although after spending 100 euro on a xenon bulb and ~ 150 for the levelling sensor on the Z4 - I should be grateful they're halogen
    I don't think I would have a vehicle without gas discharge lamps or LED's.

No matter how you cut it, it won't be cheap.

The lens on the lamp at this stage will be tired and if the adjusters aren't broken, the will be soon.

Lamps vary wildly in price. A lamp with ballasts and ignitors will be €300 - €500.

New lamps are about €800 I think but you'll need ballasts and ignitors which are easily found on eBay.

You could try doing what I always wanted to do and retrofit a third party bi xenon projector

Are they not projector lights anyway? Just put in a decent HID kit. You’ll have to remove for the nct, you’ll have to do the same with factory ones if you don’t have washers fitted anyway.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mivecrx View Post
    Are they not projector lights anyway? Just put in a decent HID kit. You’ll have to remove for the nct, you’ll have to do the same with factory ones if you don’t have washers fitted anyway.
    The projectors in the factory xenon lamps are different to the halogen lamps

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The projectors in the factory xenon lamps are different to the halogen lamps

more correct would be to say , not all -non xenon lights can have xenons .there is lamps which can have xenons ,even if they came from factory as normal halogen light . I did same swap on my E39 ,bought special holders from UK ,and got original ballasts and xenon bulbs and all work perfect .
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    more correct would be to say , not all -non xenon lights can have xenons .there is lamps which can have xenons ,even if they came from factory as normal halogen light . I did same swap on my E39 ,bought special holders from UK ,and got original ballasts and xenon bulbs and all work perfect .
    I've heard that before but never seen it. I had a HID kit in the 525 and obviously factory xenons in the M5 and they had very different light output.

BMWHaus Guru

I’d try a HID first. I put one into my Dads e39 and found them great, esp for the cost. I had planned to do the same to the 530 but didn’t get around to it.
    Last edited by JohnH; 18-11-18 at 09:15.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I’d try a HID first. I put one into my Dads e39 and found them great, esp for the cost. I had planned to do the same to the 530 but didn’t get around to it.
    Good stuff

Did you do the levelling sensor as well / blanked the headlight level switch in the dash? Any links to the ones you've used if you remember?

Presume you had no issues with NCT?