Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s my e60 535d with broken timing chain worth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What’s my e60 535d with broken timing chain worth

Hi folks, just wondering what the value of a 2007 e60 535d m sport (pre lci) with the timing chain broken worth.
    Black, cream leather interior. with nearly 400km’s on the clock. New coil overs were fitted and new front disks and pads about 10k before the chain went.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Junkie View Post
    Hi folks, just wondering what the value of a 2007 e60 535d m sport (pre lci) with the timing chain broken worth.
    Black, cream leather interior. with nearly 400km’s on the clock. New coil overs were fitted and new front disks and pads about 10k before the chain went.
    It sucks, but not much. I don't know if there's much in it worth parting out either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWHaus Guru
    Impressive mileage to get one of them too before imploding....

Original gearbox, turbo's etc ?
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

Yes. Owned it from 100k

BMWHaus Guru
    Wheels would probably be worth a bit. Does it have sat nav too?

BMWHaus Guru
    Have you looked at engine repair costs ? If everything else is in tip-top shape, then a couple of grand spent on the engine maybe worthwhile and just run it into the ground ? The c.€1,500 annual tax bill is of course a tough pill to swallow in a relatively low value car.

Even in perfect working order, a 400,000km pre LCI 535d isn't worth a whole lot in this 'cheap tax & PCP only' obsessed country.
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post

Even in perfect working order, a 400,000km pre LCI 535d isn't worth a whole lot in this 'cheap tax & PCP only' obsessed country.

Love this quote. There are so many people that are running around buying new cars just for the “cheap tax”. Said people have for instance a 2007 car that they paid off years ago where essentially it’s costing them nothing apart from annual maintenance and tax. They decide that they don’t want to pay the crazy tax rates per 2008 and go out and buy a brand new car (along with deposit / trade-in) and pay hundreds per month for the pleasure of cheap tax????? Then after 3 years they have nothing to show for it.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    Love this quote. There are so many people that are running around buying new cars just for the “cheap tax”. Said people have for instance a 2007 car that they paid off years ago where essentially it’s costing them nothing apart from annual maintenance and tax. They decide that they don’t want to pay the crazy tax rates per 2008 and go out and buy a brand new car (along with deposit / trade-in) and pay hundreds per month for the pleasure of cheap tax????? Then after 3 years they have nothing to show for it.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe people just like the security of a newer car, and after 3-5 years they would have something to show for it as the car would be fully paid for? If it's affordable then why not, if people didn't buy new cars we'd have no used ones to buy either! High mileage BMW diesels are ticking time bombs.

OP you did well to get to 400k. But i'd say cutting your losses and parting it out might be the best option

I might ring a few breakers yards and see what sort of value they would place on it.

Unless anyone in here is in that trade? Or if someone mechanically minded who could get and fit an engine themselves it might be a cheap car when it’s back on the road.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Junkie View Post
    I might ring a few breakers yards and see what sort of value they would place on it.

Unless anyone in here is in that trade? Or if someone mechanically minded who could get and fit an engine themselves it might be a cheap car when it’s back on the road.
    535d with 400k on the chassis and a shot engine. Engine is gonna be €1500 + fitting. I'd say you'll be lucky to get €500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro