Thread: Engine rebuild?

Engine rebuild?

Got a friend with a bit of an oil leak on an e90 320d N47 engine.
    He had it checked out as part of a service and the leak is coming from the top, back of the engine, driver side, probably something like a gasket gone but was told impossible to get to without taking the engine.
    So if that needs to go out then need to replace all gaskets/seals in the engine anyway.
    Any recommendations for mechanics in the Dublin area that are knowledgeable with this sort of job and that charge decently?

BMWHaus Guru
    If the timing chain hasn't been done already, then taking out the engine would be a great opportunity to have this done then also - not a whole lot more expense and great peace-of-mind whether keeping long term or selling on soon....

I'd get a second opinion first though - why go about taking out the engine if the leak source hasn't been confirmed ?
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    If the timing chain hasn't been done already, then taking out the engine would be a great opportunity to have this done then also - not a whole lot more expense and great peace-of-mind whether keeping long term or selling on soon....

I'd get a second opinion first though - why go about taking out the engine if the leak source hasn't been confirmed ?
    Yes the chain has been done a while ago it seems but apparently there is a gasket around there that not everyone replaces when they do the chain so it might be due to that.
    Will need to do a follow up inspection just to be sure.
    Anyone used these guys before? http://www.dlmotorworks.ie
    Are they decent?