Thread: R53 power steering pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

R53 power steering pump

Noticed today the R53 power steering pump seems to take 5-10 seconds to kick in after the car is started. No other issues or funny noises but I’ve read these are a weak point and a common failure so I’m assuming it’s on the way out.

Anyone ever had similar? Mainly wondering if it could be anything else (weak battery maybe & the delay is the alt kicking in and pushing voltage? probably grasping at straws with that )

Anyone any idea where best to source a replacement?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Mine failed about two years ago but the symptoms were different. At the time I priced around and end up just doing a supply and fit deal, I was too busy. The symptoms I had were a bit unnerving, the power Steering would cut out at random times, and it’s actually heavy when it cuts out.

Otto have a number of types of steering pumps available, in fact they also had an OEM one in stock at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    Mine failed about two years ago but the symptoms were different. At the time I priced around and end up just doing a supply and fit deal, I was too busy. The symptoms I had were a bit unnerving, the power Steering would cut out at random times, and it’s actually heavy when it cuts out.

Otto have a number of types of steering pumps available, in fact they also had an OEM one in stock at the time.
    Thanks - Likely I’ll source and get Healyc to replace - probably drop it in for a quick look over first.

Got up hoping the PAS pump was my imagination and the bastard was whining away like a lunatic this morning I'm guessing I don't have long before it completely craps itself

The motor side of the pump will be full of carbon dust from wear of the brushes. It’s a common problem. Starts as an intermittent loss and sometimes it sticks on even when the car is off and drains the battery. It will pack in soon!

I took mine apart and cleaned it up and have it as a spare. Worked perfectly while I waited for the new one. Relatively easy to take apart, clean and even replace the parts if needed. I wouldn’t of bought a new one if I had of took it apart before I had ordered the new one.

Looks like my PAS pump issues might be battery related - car died as the wife was pulling into the drive this morning - battery completely flat. Have the AA on route & suspecting battery or alternator as the battery is fairly recent. Would be a nice easy fix if it’s the battery

BMWHaus Guru
    WIll be almost certainly the alternator so I'd imagine....

Did you get any battery/charging system warning lights over the last few days ?
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    WIll be almost certainly the alternator so I'd imagine....

Did you get any battery/charging system warning lights over the last few days ?
    You’re right - Alternator is toast - tow to Courtney arranged for later.

No warning lights - only indication was the PAS pump taking a couple seconds to kick in -